Some Sandwich Basics from my Kitchen!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recently, one of my friend contacted me and requested some sandwich ideas for busy mornings and school lunches. And she wanted veg and non veg ideas both! As many of you know that I am the only vegetarian in the house so I do keep my refrigerator stacked lightly to meet the not so vegetarian needs of other family members. I had created a document for her which I thought of sharing it with all my readers today. We all make sandwiches and there is no hard and fast rule to making a sandwich. But sometimes we all feel stuck and look for a spin. Also, most of us don’t want to go out for fancy shopping every time when we want to create something new. So this document is a collective thought on my take on different ingredients and ways a sandwich can be assembled and personalized.
Warning : It is a long document to read but worth it for whoever is interested. Thanks for your patience.
Grilled Tofu/Cheese/Paneer sandwich
Now come to the business!
SANDWICHES : SOME BASIC IDEAS AND INGREDIENTS
SOME COMMON BREADS THAT I USE FOR SANDWICHES
1. FRENCH BAGUETTE
3. MASALA BREAD FOR INDIAN FLAVORED SANDWICHES
4. GARLIC LOAF OR BREAD FOR ITALAIN FLAVORS
5. WHOLE WHEAT
6. MULTI GRAIN
7. HOAGIE BUNS OR LONG BUNS AS SERVED IN SUBWAY
NOTE FOR BREADS :
ALWAYS USE BREADS WITH THICK CRUST IF THE LUNCH HOURS ARE DELAYED, SO THEY DON’T BECOME SOGGY.
SOME COMMON GREENS FOR SANDWICHES AND SALADS
2. BABY SPINACH
3. ROCKET LEAVES
5. CABBAGE, FRESH OR YOUNG
NOTE FOR GREENS :
ALWAYS LAYER THE SANDWICHES WITH GREENS AT THE BOTTOM. THESE ABSORB MOISTURE FROM THE VEGES AND SPREADS AND KEEP THE SANDWICH IN SHAPE WITHOUT MAKING IT SOGGY.
A wrap kind of sandwich with potato and paneer masala filling!
SOME VEGETABLES THAT ARE COMMONLY USED IN SANDWICHES
4. OLIVES, BLACK OR GREEN
5. PICKLED CUCUMBERS
6. GRILLED RED BELL PEPPERS
7. PICKLED JALAPENOS
8. CAPSICUMS, COLORFUL IF AVAILABLE
10. a MUSHROOMS
NOTE FOR VEGES :
YOU MAY PREP THEM A NIGHT BEFORE AND STORE IN FRIDGE FOR QUICK ASSEMBLY IN THE MORNING. TRY TO CUT THEM THIN OR CHOP JULIENNED SO THAT THE BITE DOESN’T BECOME TOO BULKY. ONIONS, MUSHROOMS AND BELL PEPPERS CAN BE GRILLED AND USED IN SANDWICHES.
SOME PROTEINS THAT ARE USED FOR SANDWICHES
2. PATTIES MADE WITH BEANS AND HERBS WITH LITTLE POTATO FOR BINDING AND SPICES OF YOUR CHOICE. COMMON BEANS THAT CAN BE USED ARE BLACK BEANS, KIDNEY BEANS, CHICKPEAS, WHITE BEANS, BLACK EYE BEANS. FIND THEM CANNED WITH NO ADDITIVES OR BUY THEM DRY. SOAK AND PRESSURE COOK. USE THEM IN MAKING PATTIES BY MASHING THEM WITH A MASHER OR IN A FOOD PROCESSOR.
3. GRILLED OR FLAVORED PANEER
4. MARINATED AND GRILLED TOFU
5. CHEESES LIKE MOZARELLA, CHEDDAR, PEPPERJACK CHEDDAR ETC.
6. VEGE BALLS
NOTE FOR PROTEINS :
YOU MAY MARINADE THE PANEER and TOFU :
1. INDIAN TIKKA SPICES
2. ITALIAN MIX HERBS LIKE OLIVE OIL, ROSEMARY, THYME, SALT AND BLACK PEPPER.
3. MEXICAN FLAVORS LIKE ROASTED CUMIN POWDER, OREGANO, RED PAPRIKA OR RED CHILI POWDER AND LEMON ZEST WITH SALT AND PEPPER
4. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS PACK SANDWICHES WITH AN ICE PACK IN THE LUNCH BAG, IN SUMMER TIME.
AN EASY IDEA IS TO FREEZE A WATER BOTTLE OVERNIGHT AND PACK IT IN THE LUNCH BAG WITH THE SANDWICH BOX. THAT WAY BOTH CAN BE USED BY LUNCH TIME.
5. GRILL OR PAN COOK IN ADVANCE WITH LITTLE OR NO OIL. THIS CAN BE DONE OVER THE WEEKEND AND STORED IN FRIDGE FOR THE WEEK’S USE. THEREFOE, WHEN YOU ARE IN RUSH IN THE MORNING, YOU DON’T HAVE TO THINK TWICE
SOME SPREADS FOR SANDWICHES
3. CREAM CHEESE
6. GREEN CHUTNEY
7. HOT SAUCE
8. GUACAMOLE. YOU WILL FIND THE RECIPE ON MY BLOG
9. SOUR CREAM
10. MARINANRA SAUCE
NOTE FOR SPREADS :
YOU MAY EXPERIMENT WITH THE ABOVE SPREADS.
1. WITH MAYONNAISE, YOU MAY MIX MUSTARD AND A DASH OF HONEY IN IT TO MAKE HONEY MUSTARD MAYO SPREAD.
2. WITH CREAM CHEESE OR BUTTER, YOU MAY ADD SHREDDED VEGES LIKE CABBAGE, RADDISH, CUCUMBERS AND SOME FINELLY CHOPPED PICKLES OR OLIVES. MAKE A CLUB SANDWICH.
3. YOU CAN CHOP EGGS FINE AND MIX WITH MAYO AND MUSTARD. THAT’S ANOTHER GOOD EGG SANDWICH ON ITS OWN.
4. SOUR CREAM IS SO VERSATILE. ADD WHATEVER DRY OR FRESH INGREDIENTS AND MAKE DIP AND SPREAD OF YOUR CHOICE.
5. INDIAN FLAVORED SANDWICHES GO VERY WELL WITH GREEN CHUTNEY, KETCHUP AND BIT OF SOUR CREAM.
6. IF THE SPREAD YOU ARE USING IS TOO RUNNY, ALWAYS PACK ON THE SIDE IN A SMALL BOX SO THAT CAN BE ADDED BEFORE THE TIME OF EATING.
7. I RECENTLY MADE A SPREAD WITH COTTAGE CHEESE/ FRESH PANEER AND MUSTARD. JUST CHURN UP EVERYTHING IN BLENDER AND READY.
A coleslaw sandwich with cottage cheese and mustard dressing.
SOME COMMONLY PREPARED SANDWICHES
1. MOZARELLA AND TOMATOES SANDWICH WITH THICK SLICES OF BOTH ON THE BED OF GREENS IN A BAGUETTE OR CIABATTA. SALT AND PEPPER IS ADDED ALONG WITH LITTLE OLIVE OIL. YOU MAY GRILL IT TOO.
2. MEATBALL OR VEG BALL HOAGIES WHERE HOAGIES OR LONG BUNS ARE USED. SPREAD A LAYER OF GREENS LIKE LETTUCE OR BABY SPINACH. ADD MEATBALLS. TOP WITH MARINARA AND SOME CHEESE.
3. CLUB SANDWICHES WHERE CREAM CHEESE OR BUTTER IS WHIPPED WITH SHREDDED VEGES AND A BIT OF KETCHUP. ADDA DASH OF MUSTARD IF PREFERRED. SPREAD A THOCK LAYER ON GREENS IN A BREAD OF YOUR CHOICE.
4. EGG SANDWICHES ARE FAMOUS ENGLISH SANDWICHES. CHOP EGGS. MIX WITH MAYO AND MUSTARD. ADJUST SEASONING OF SALT AND PEPPER. THAT’S IT. APPLY ON THE GREENS OF YOIUIR CHOICE IN THE BREAD OF YOUR CHOICE.
5. MEDITERRANEAN SANDWICH : WHOLE WHEAT BREAD. SPREAD HUMMOUS AND THEN GREENS ON IT. TOP WITH ONIONS, TOMATOES, AVOCADOES, OLIVES, CUCUMBERS, SOME ALFA ALFA SPROUTS IF AVAILABLE. THE TOP SLICE IS SPREAD WITH SOME GREEN CHUTNEY OR GAUCAMOLE OR CREAM CHEESE.
6. PANNER, CHEESE & TOFU SANDWICHES. WHENEVER YOU ARE COOKING PANEER, TOFU OR QUESO OR MOZZARELLA IN THE DINNER. SAVE A SMALL PORTION AND PAN GRILL IT WITH YOUR CHOICE OF SPICES. COMES HANDY IN SANDWICHES AND SALADS.
Do let me know your thoughts and your takes on the above :).
I m glad that you liked it Stephanie :).
I am totally drooling. It looks so yummy!!!
So much variety Sonal! Love this post 🙂
Oh my, the list looks so tempting Sonal 😉
Way to go Sonal!!! Start working on ur cookbooks!!!
Sonal, if you open up a sandwich shop I will be first in line. 🙂
found this so interesting..loved your detail of the breads,dressings and sauces..this will be so handy when at times the mind goes blank thinking of what kind of sandwich to have..thanks..have bookmarked your page
Please tell me you spent hours compiling this list, Sonal. 😉 it’s a very complete and diverse list, to say the least, and an excellent resource to have on hand. Nice job!
Thanks Nancy. Coming from you is a big deal for me :).
Awesome…..so well described .., once again hats off to your hard work 🙂 stay blessed
I love sandwiches! And yours looks so tantalizing! Haven’t been a huge fan of tofu and always love when someone makes it look compelling.
Love this! My kids need (want!) variety 🙂 Great ideas!
Josette :). Hugs.
You have thought about every little thing. Awesome, Sonal!
Oh I could have a nice paneer sandwich right now! That is pretty exhaustive, Sonal. It’s like make your own sandwich post. )
Yes it is Aditee :). I got exhausted typing it initially. Wanted to make it more colorful and attractive but by the time, I was done copying, pasting and editing to only vegetarian….I was so done…just went ahead and hit the button “publish”. I might add another page of it at the top.
Brilliant…Want a sandwich now x
awesome tutorial, and exhaustive! I don’t think any detail is left out.
Exhausted ? yes, I was :). But it was kind of a loud thinking for some silent listeners!
Exhaustive as in “complete”, but I’m sure it did make you tired to type out the entire post 🙂 It certainly helped me. A good one, thank you!
You are so welcome my dear friend.