I believe that there can never be too many rice recipes to keep handy. If you are Asian, it makes more sense. We Asians eat a lot of rice, I mean a lottttt of rice, be it South Asians or East Asians. Rice is the staple food for most of us.
Many a times when I am cooking rice at home, I always make an extra batch. Why? Simply because, rice can be combined with so many ingredients to make a quick and prompt pot of meal, at the drop of the hat. If you have some boiled rice in the refrigerator, possibilities are numerous, bouncing between different cuisines.
Tawa Pulav is a very popular street food from the state of Maharashtra, from the streets of Mumbai, in particular. Many street vendors who sell Pav Bhaji, often have Tawa Pulav on the menu too. Spicy, hot and sizzling Pulav made on Tawa (griddle) with bhaji (mix vegetable) ingredients and masala (spice). It is often served with Cucumber Raita or Tomato-Onion Raita. Raita is a yogurt dip/dish, made with various ingredients. Also, raita is often served as a side to spicy dishe to cool down the heat from the dish.
This is such an easy dish to make with readily available ingredients that you will love it!
This is how I made it!
Recipe inspired from Veg Recipes of India !
- Rice - 3 cups cooked ( 1 day old, refrigerated preferred)
- Onion - 1 small chopped fine
- Ginger - 1 tsp finely grated
- Garlic - 1 tsp finely grated
- Bell Pepper / Capsicum green - 1 small chopped fine
- Carrots - 1 small chopped fine
- Potato - 1 small chopped fine
- Tomato - 2 medium chopped fine
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - handful chopped fine
- Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
Oil & Spices
- Oil / Butter - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili powder - 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Pav Bhaji Masala - 1&1/2 to 2 tsp as per taste
- Salt as per taste. I used about 1&1/4 tsp.
Ingredients for Cucumber Raita
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cucumber - 1 small chopped fine
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili powder - a fat pinch
- Salt to taste
- Dry mint powder - a fat pinch optional
Making Tawa Pulav
- Heat the oil or butter in the pan. Add cumin seeds to it. Once they crackle, add onions, ginger and garlic to the pan. Reduce the heat to the medium and saute onions till they become soft and slightly golden, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the chopped carrots, potatoes and bell peppers to the pan. Cover the pan with lid and let the vegetables cook on lower medium flame, till thy become tender, for about 5-7 minutes. if required, add 1 tbsp water to create steam.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add tomatoes and the spices as mentioned above. stir well. Cover with lid again and cook on medium heat for another 3-4 minutes till tomatoes are mushy.
- Open the lid. Stir with a stirring spoon. Separate the cooked rice with hands and add to the pan. Stir and incorporate the rice with spiced vegetables with gentle hand. Cover with lid again and let it all steam together on low heat for 5 minutes or till rice heats up with the vegetables.
- Switch off the flame and add the lemon juice and coriander leaves. Serve it hot with cold Cucumber Raita. It makes a delicious meal.
Making Cucumber Raita
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients mentioned under raita above, to the bowl. STir with a fork or a spoon. Chill before serving.
I had a great time cooking Tawa Pulav in my Indian American Kitchen. I bet you will enjoy making this and eating this as well.
Happy Monday People!