Turmeric Ginger Vegan Pumpkin Soup
Do you remember my Pumpkin Bisque that I had posted last year, around the same time? It was so well received that I got so many requests to come up with a Vegan and equally Hearty Version of the creamy one. This Turmeric Ginger Vegan Pumpkin Soup is that version of the creamy one. It is not only Vegan, but also gluten free and enriched with the goodness of Ginger and Turmeric.
Truth to be told, the only pumpkin recipe that I knew while growing up was this Sweet & Sour Pumpkin Curry. My mother in law makes the best kind and I learnt that from her. There was no other pumpkin recipe ever known to me.
When I moved to America, 17 years ago, I discovered this whole rush of pumpkin cool food. Fall or Autumn is “the” season of Pumpkin and I swear to GOD, every restaurant you go, there is something PUMPKIN-Y in every menu. 😀 … Good or Bad, that I don’t know but I sure do love my Pumpkin Bisque.
Actually, this recipe couldn’t have come at the better time. We just wrapped up the festival of Diwali and there had been an array of rich food around the festival time including sweets and savories. After almost 1 week of Binge Eating, body starts craving for Clean Eating. WHat better than the soups at that time, right? Check out my ongoing Soup Series on Instagram for some more soup fun.
[If you don’t want to read more of my chit chat that includes some cool facts about how this soup is rich in anti oxidants and is anti inflammatory, then skip to the RECIPE directly.]
Some other Pumpkin Recipes to share the Pumpkin season are – Pumpkin Bisque , No Bake Coconut Pumpkin Pie from Ruchi’s Kitchen and Pumpkin Fudge by Let’s Eat Healthy Tonight .
This is how you make it!
- Pumpkin - 3 cups, peeled and chopped fine. I used small Pie Pumpkin. Use any kind or use pureed canned pumpkin.
- Onion, red - small, chopped fine
- Ginger - 1 medium piece about 1 tbsp, chopped fine
- Coconut Milk, Light - 1 can of 400 ml / 13.5 fl oz. You may use full fat coconut milk too.
- Water - 2 to 3 cups
- Olive Oil - ½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - ½ tsp
- Paprika or Red chili powder - ¼ tsp or to taste
- Salt - ¾ tsp or to taste
- Brown Sugar or Regular Sugar or sweetener of your choice - ½ tbsp or to taste
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - 1 tbsp, chopped
- Some Almond flakes for crunch or use pepita or roasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add onion and ginger to the pan. Saute for 45 seconds till onion softens.
- Add Pumpkin pieces, coconut milk, turmeric powder, cumin powder, paprika / red chili powder, salt and sugar. Give it a good stir.
- Add 2 cups of water. Stir again. Bring the contents to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover with lid and cook for about 12-15 minutes till pumpkin softens.
- Take it off the heat. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Now transfer the pumpkin stew to the blender and add 1 cup of cold water to it. Blend till pumpkin purees smooth.
- Transfer it back to the sauce pan. Bring it to a boil. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve it hot, garnished with some coriander / cilantro leaves + some almond flakes.
- It is mmm mmmm good.
- Bring it to the room temperature and then store in air tight container in refrigerator.
You may make this soup in pressure cooker or crock pot as well.
This is one of the easiest soups that is easy and delicious with great health benefits. You can have it as a perfect light lunch and pair it with pita or naan or even toasted sourdough slice. Make a huge batch and store in refrigerator. Warm and Eat or Slurrp when hungry.
Ask me, how is this soup good in nutrition? Well the use of Ginger and Turmeric elevates the “richness” of this soup, especially for the Fall. Autumn brings lots of seasonal allergies with it and ginger and turmeric are from the spice family that have tonnes of medicinal properties to combat the allergies and boost your immunity.
Ginger heals the gut, fights pain and discomfort, Lowers the risk of diabetes, Boosts immunity and when consumed regularly, it helps in the prevention of stroke and heart diseases. Turmeric is naturally anti-inflammatory, increases the anti-oxidant properties of the body, improves brain health, supports heart health and much more.
So you see, how this Vegan Pumpkin soup Recipe is a keeper! Bookmark it or Share it with friends and family !
The best thing about this recipe is that you can totally adapt it as per your personal taste. Lower the ginger and turmeric if you want to, skip the red chili powder or add rosemary and thyme. Make it to match your needs and be a happy SOUP-ER!
This is all you need for the recipe that you can order from amazon. It will not cost you anything extra but will earn me a small commission to keep the blog running.
Can’t make it now? PIN Turmeric Ginger Vegan Pumpkin Soup FOR LATER!!
I hope you make this vegan soup for sure this PUMPKIN SEASON.
In my kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY!