Instant Pot Pav Bhaji Recipe is the lip-smacking delicious street food from Mumbai, India. Potatoes cooked in spicy tomato Curry makes the BHAJI. To counter the heat, bhaji is served with butter grilled Pav or Dinner Rolls. The best part is that this recipe is made in INSTANT POT. The Stove Top instructions are also included.
Instant Pot Pav Bhaji Recipe
Have I ever told you that Pav Bhaji is the GO-TO food of our family? Even the people of Mumbai can not love this lip smacking yummy and buttery fare, as much as my girls do. Whenever a weekend menu is set, either Pav Bhaji or Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi is always ranking the charts. Though the dish is much of the family favorite, I always dreaded making it often in the traditional STOVE TOP way, because of multiple steps.
Since I have started cooking in Instant Pot, making Pav Bhaji is always a Breeze. It has literally become 1 POT-COOKING.
Fun Intended – When you have teenagers at home, they always come up with weirdest things. My oldest calls this as PAJI….combining the 2 words together…and then gets a good kick as she knows what Paji means… 😉
Let’s get 2 things clear – 1. Why should you cook in an Instant Pot? 2. The components and Recipe of Pav Bhaji.
Here are few things to know about Instant Pot before we move on to the recipe.
- Do not get scared by Instant-Pot. Instant-Pot is very promising. It takes a few initial hit and runs, and after that, you operate it smoothly.
- Read and understand the manual carefully for functions. Join some Instant-Pot groups on Facebook to get started since that will be of great help.
- There is no BABYSITTING on this machine. Cooking is MESS-FREE, EFFICIENT and MULTI-PURPOSE.
- Some common words that you will hear are cooking on MANUAL which is actually PRESSURE COOK. SAUTE is another favorite function. Some commonly used functions that I use are- Manual/ Pressure, Saute Mode, Bean Mode, Soup & Stew Mode.
- It is your BEST FRIEND if you are a busy person. It is very convenient to use on busy days, when you are sick, or when you want to take it easy.
SOME PAV BHAJI FACTS
- If you are wondering what is Pav Bhaji, then Pav is Dinner Rolls or Buns and Bhaji is Curry.
- The Curry is the special part of this combination. This curry needs to be done right to be able to enjoy Pav Bhaji. Potatoes are cooked and mashed in rich and butter tomato base along with seasonal vegetables. Bhaji is cooked for good amount of time for the flavors to mature.
- A special Spice Mix called PAV BHAJI MASALA is used to make Bhaji. For HOME MADE PAV BHAJI MASALA, ⇒CLICK HERE⇐ .
- Another delicious part of the dish is Butter Grilled or should I say Butter Soaked Pav that is DInner Rolls or Buns.
- Garnish and Toppings of this DISH are very important – Finely chopped Onions, Finely Chopped Cilantro/Coriander Leaves, Green Chilies, Freshly squeezed Lemon Juice and Butter. Sometimes Dry Garlic Chili Chutney is also sprinkled over to add more zing.
- IMPORTANT – To attain the beautiful RED COLOR of the curry, Use Tomato Paste and Kashmiri lal mirch.
Other ♦INSTANT POT RECIPES♦ from my Blog
This is how you make Pav Bhaji.
Given are the Methods for Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker which shall be similar to Instant Pot and Stove Top as well.
Important – The actual Instant Pot Time is 10 minutes cooking. The extra 10 minutes given in the recipe are for the time Instant Pot takes, to start the Timer. Use hot water to reduce the time.
Instant Pot Pav Bhaji Recipe
- 1 Medium Onion chopped fine
- 2 tsp Ginger chopped fine
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped fine
- 1 Green Chili chopped fine
- 4 Medium Tomatoes use red, ripe & juicy tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 Large / 5 Medium Potatoes chopped into large cubes
- 1 small head / 2 cups Cauliflower florets use small florets
- 1 Cup Cabbage shredded fine
- 1 Medium size Bell Pepper/ Capsicum chopped fine
- 1 Large Carrot chopped fine
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 2 cups Water
Pav / Dinner Rolls / Buns - 18 or more
Oils & Spices
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Lal Mirch optional
- 1-2 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala as per taste
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp Salt or to taste
Garnish or Toppings
- 1/4 cup Cilantro / Coriander leaves chopped fine
- 1 small Onion chopped fine
- 1 large Lemon cut into slices
- 3-4 Green Chilies chopped fine
- 8 tsp Butter optional. use less or more as required.
Keep vegetables chopped and all the ingredients ready.
INSTANT POT METHOD
Plug in the 6 quart Instant pot. Place the Inner pot inside. PRESS SAUTE MODE and set it on HIGH.
COOKING ON SAUTE MODE
- After pressing the SAUTE MODE, wait till HOT appears on the display screen. When the Inner Pot is Hot, add OIL and Butter to it. When Butter melts, add Onions, Ginger, Garlic and Green chilies. Stir and Saute till Onions are slightly golden. To fasten up this process, cover with lnstant pot lid and cook onions for a minute first. Then remove the lid and cook onions till slightly golden. It should take 3-4 minutes in all.
- Now add chopped tomatoes + tomato paste + kashmiri lal mirch (if you are using) to the pot. Give it a good stir. Cover with the IP LID and cook the tomatoes for 2 minutes till they are mushed and saucy.
- Remove the lid. Add all the vegetables besides Green Peas. Give it a good stir. Add PAV BHAJI MASALA and Salt. Give it a good stir again. If you do not have home made masala, then use either MDH or Shaan brand Pav Bhaji Masala. These are good. See the NOTES at the bottom for the spices to use when you do not have PAV BHAJI MASALA at all.
- Add 2 cups water to the Instant Pot. Give it a good stir. CANCEL THE SAUTE MODE NOW.
COOKING ON MANUAL / PRESSURE COOK MODE
- Set the FLOATING VALVE to SEALING. Press the MANUAL / PRESSURE COOK MODE and set it to MORE and set the PRESSURE TO HIGH. Set the TIME to 10 minutes.
- It will take about 7-8 minutes for Instant Pot to kick in Pressure Mode. Then it will actually start cooking. To speed up the process, you can use hot water.
- Once the timer beeps, Release the pressure MANUALLY, after 5 minutes. Open the lid carefully and plug out the Instant Pot. Take the Potato Masher and run it through the Instant Pot, mashing the potatoes and other vegetables, till they are of the consistency that you like.
- Add Green Peas to the Instant Pot. Close the lid again and let sit for 5 minutes. Open the lid. Check for Salt and Spice level. Add more salt and Pav bhaji masala if required.
- Pav Bhaji is ready to be served with Butter Roasted Pav and all the Toppings.
- Take a plate, scoop some Bhaji and add some butter on top. Place 2 Butter roasted Pav. Squeeze some lemon juice n bhaji. Sprinkle some chopped cilantro leaves + Green Chilies+ chopped onions on top of bhaji. If desired, add some garlic chili chutney powder.
- If you do not have Pav-Bhaji masala, then use 1 tbsp coriander powder + 1/2 tsp red chili powder + 1tsp Kashmiri lal mirch + 1/2 tsp Turmeric + 2 tsp Fennel powder + 1&1/2 tsp Garam Masala + 1/2 tbsp Dry Mango powder.
PRESSURE COOK METHOD
- All of the steps remain the same in Pressure cook method. You have to cook the vegetables and potatoes for 2 whistles in this case. Once the pressure is released, open the lid and mash potatoes and vegetables with potato masher. Your Pav Bhaji in Pressure cooker is ready.
STOVE TOP METHOD
- For stove top method, your vegetables need to be parboiled and potatoes need to be boiled as well before making pav bhaji.
- Most of the Cooking steps remain same in Stove top method. You cook onion tomato the same way as above in a large saute pan. Add parboiled vegetables and potatoes to the pan. Add spices and salt plus water. Cook for 1/2 hour on medium heat while stirring occasionally. Once done, mash with potato masher. That's it. Your Stove Top Pav Bhaji is ready.
I am sure that you will surely be looking into buying an Instant Pot, if you do not have any. I recommend 9-in-1 6 quart Instant Pot Duo and if you are looking to buy the 2nd instant pot, then 3 quart Mini Instant Pot is a must buy.
Do leave your comments if you have any quarries or share your joy if this becomes a hit at home.
You can purchase some of the kitchen equipment and ingredients here, to make this recipe easily.
Potato Mahser, stainless steel, I love this and I use this in my kitchen.
Can’t make it now? Save Instant Pot Pav Bhaji Recipe for Later!
In my kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY!