Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe is a life saver recipe. It is cooked in 15 minutes and is on the table in less than 1/2 hr. This is an authentic recipe, done fast with no mess. It is best served with hot steaming rice.
Updated Recipe on 11/11/20 for Lehsuni and Palak Kadhi instructions in the Notes Section.
Also Updated Recipe on 11/27/20 for Papad ki Kadhi instructions in the Notes Section.
Now UPDATED RECIPE for fool-proof PUNJABI KADHI Instant Pot Instructions 0n 7/3/21.
Post may contain affiliate links. Please read disclosure here.
Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe
Okay people, before somebody starts accusing me with “how can this be authentic Punjabi kadhi, when there is no pakoda(fritter) in it? Let me make my case by saying that I was too lazy to deep fry the pakoda and too excited to get this recipe right in my Insta-Pot, that I “make-do” with deep fried Boondi (deep fried gram flour pearls). The base of this Punjabi Kadhi is authentic, how my mum or mum-in-law would make at home in Northern States of India.
CHECK OUT HERE⇐ for STOVE TOP PUNJABI KADHI RECIPE.
Here are few things to know, before we move on to the recipe.
- Do not be intimidated by Instant-Pot. Accept it and Embrace it. Instant-Pot is very promising. It takes few initial hit and runs, and after that, you operate it smoothly. I promise.
- Read the manual carefully for functions. Join some Instant-Pot groups on Facebook to get started since that will be of great help.
- There is no BABYSITTING on this machine. Cooking is MESS-FREE and MULTI-PURPOSE.
- Some common words that you will hear are cooking on MANUAL which is actually PRESSURE COOK. SAUTE is another favorite function. Some commonly used functions that I use are- Manual/ Pressure, Saute Mode, Bean Mode, Soup & Stew Mode. CHECK OUT HERE⇐ for detailed INSTANT POT Parts and Operations.
- It is your BEST FRIEND if you are a busy person. It is very convenient to use on busy days, when you are sick, or when you want to take it easy.
Simplyvegetarian777 Kadhi Recipes
Lehsuni kadhi and methi pyaaz ki kadhi. These recipes can be made in Instant Pot, using the same method as mentioned below.
Simplyvegetarian777 Indian Vegetarian Recipes
Saag Aloo, Chana Masala, Rajma Masala, Aloo Matar, Aloo Baingan, Lobiya Masala, Madras Lentils, Mix Vegetable Pulao, Dal Lehsuni, Kashmiri Vegetable Pulao, Saag Chana and more.
Kadhi Best Served With –
Basmati Rice, Parantha, Poori, Missi Roti.
Punjabi Kadhi Recipe Ingredients
Besan or chickpea Flour – Indian store carries it or Bob’s red Mill sells it too.
Yogurt – plain
Spices – Cumin seeds, Turmeric powder, Red chili powder, Fenugreek Seeds, Hing/Asafetida, Salt, whole red chilies
Fresh Produce – Ginger, Green Chili, Cilantro leaves
This is how you make Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe, without a mess and in less time.
Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe
Punjabi Kadhi Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Besan / Chickpea Flour sieved
- 2 cups Yogurt sour
- 1 tbsp Ginger finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies slit into 4s
- 6 cups Water
Oil & Spices
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 pinch Hing / Asafetida
- 1 tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Methi dana / Fenugreek seeds
- 2 Lal Mirch Sabut / Red Chillies Whole & Dry
- 1/2 tbsp Haldi / Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Lal Mirch powder / Red chili powder
- To taste Salt
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1-2 Green Chillies slit into 4s
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 small pinch Hing/Asafetida
- 1 tsp Degi Mirch or Kashmiri Lal Mirch
Preparing for Punjabi Kadhi
- Take a large Mixing Bowl and add Besan or chickpea Flour in it. Whisk the yogurt and add it slowly to the flour. Keep stirring vigorously with the whisk, to avoid any lump formation. Add 2 cups of water. Mix with Besan and yogurt. Set aside.
Making Punjabi Kadhi in Instant Pot (variation to make garlic kadhi and/or palak kadhi given in the notes section)
- Use 6 quart Instant Pot or larger. Do not use the MINI INSTANT POT for making Punjabi Kadhi.
- Place the Instant Pot on an open counter space. Make sure that it is away from the wall and away from any cupboard above it. Place the Inner Stainless Steel Pot inside the Instant Pot Base. Make sure that the lid has its sealing ring placed properly.
- Plug in the Instant Pot. Press SAUTE MODE and set it on NORMAL by pressing the saute mode. Now wait till the screen displays HOT.
- Add Ghee or cooking oil to the Inner pot and wait for few seconds till ghee heats up. Now add Hing (asafetida), methi dana (fenugreek seeds), cumin seeds and whole dry red chilies to hot ghee. Saute for few seconds till cumin seeds turn slightly golden. Add Ginger and green chili. Give it a good stir.
- Now slowly pour the besan mix into the inner pot. Give it a good stir. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt to taste. Give another good stir with kitchen stirring spoon. Add the remaining 4 cups of water and adjust salt. Stir again.
- Now place the lid of the pot and rotate it clock-wise to lock it in place. Press CANCEL to cancel the SAUTE MODE setting.
- Set the FLOAT VALVE to SEALING.
- Press SOUP/BROTH Mode and set it on NORMAL and the PRESSURE MODE set to HIGH. Set the timer for 15 minutes.
- After the timer goes off, & safety valve drops down, open the lid carefully.
- The kadhi might seem saturated or concentrated. Take a stirring spoon or ladle and give it a good stir. Kadhi is ready. If it is too thick for you, add 1 cup of hot water, as desired and adjust the salt.
Making Tadka for Kadhi
- Heat Ghee in a small pan. Lower the heat to lower medium and add hing+cumin seeds to the pan. Once the cumin seeds start crackling, lower the heat and add degi mirch or kashmiri mirch. Immediately switch off the heat. Add this tadka to Punjabi Kadhi.
- Punjabi Kadhi is best served with Jeera Rice or Plain Basmati Rice. It is often relished with Parantha and naan as well.
Variation to make Lehsuni Kadhi or Garlic KadhiIf you plan to make Lehsuni or Garlic Kadhi, then add 7-8 Garlic cloves to the Ingredients List. Peel and Chop it fine. Add it to the inner pot when you are adding Ginger and Green chili in Step 4 above. And then follow the rest of the recipe as is.
Variation to make Palak Kadhi or Spinach KadhiIf you are planning to make Palak Kadhi, then add 2 cups finely chopped fresh spinach to the ingredients list. You can use 1 cup frozen spinach as well. Add it to the inner pot when you are adding Ginger and Green chili in Step 4 above. And then follow the rest of the recipe as is.
Variation to make Papad ki KadhiThis is a very popular addition to kadhi in Rajasthani and Hariyanvi Cuisine. I make kadhi sometimes with Papad also. The melt in the mouth papad is so comforting in every bite. There are few ways that people make it.
- By frying the papad first
- Sometimes by roasting papad first
- And the last & easy one by just adding as is later on
Isn’t that wonderful that you can cook such authentic recipe like PUNJABI KADHI in just 15 minutes? I have started making it more often now, since I do not have to babysit Kadhi anymore and to top that there is no more spilling or mess.
Can’t make it now? PIN this Recipe for Later!
In my kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY!
THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS DELICIOUS TRADITIONAL PUNJABI RECIPE. KEEP SHARING:)
I have been making this kadhi for so long now. Today I started making it in my IP, ultra model. When I pressed soup more, I was able to select low pressure but could not do venting even when I pressed it. I think it does not allow venting in soup mode. Any idea what mode to use? Or just keep going in soup mode with pressure on?
Anushree – I think I will keep going as you mentioned above. I haven’t tried in ultra. But this is what my thought process suggest too.
I read that 3qrt Instant pot is not recommended, WHY ? A 6qrt InstantPot was an overkill for a single person. Your thoughts ?
For the amount of kadhi I have mentioned, you have to use 6 quart. If you want to use 3 quart, half the recipe and use.
Hi – do I cook it for 15 minutes even when I’m using half the quantity? Or should I reduce the cooking time?
Thank you so much !!! That was lip smacking!!
Just one question..this recipe made karhi for 2 -3.
Shall I just increase the quantity of everything?
Thank you again!!
Sure you can 🙂