Kashmiri Mix Vegetables Pulav n’ Apple Mint Raita
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kashmiri Mix Vegetables Pulav n’ Apple Mint Raita is an amazing combination. You can make it for any occasion be it every day meal or a special event. The best part is that you can make this Kashmiri Pulao in INSTANT POT too.
Rich & Delicious Kashmiri Mix Vegetables Pulav Recipe
Are you thinking of entertaining family or friends this weekend? Do you want to try something new? Then Kashmiri Mix Vegetables Pulav n’ Apple Mint Raita is the right choice to make your guests happy.
It is so comforting and fit to treat the royals.
Long grain Basmati cooked in ghee and saffron, enhanced with the flavors of nuts like walnuts, cashews, almonds and rasins is the right call for the moment. Why? The weather is cooling down here and Autumn is blooming slowly. Such kind of weather calls for comfort and rich meals.
Also, the festival season is right around the corner and the evenings warm up between friends and family with some laughter and making memories around the dinner table. Therefore, when the dinner table will be studded with such a meal, it will bring the happy people around.
What is Apple Mint Raita?
Raita is basically a yogurt dip enhanced with herbs, spices, vegetables or fruits.
Now this is one of the most delicious raita ever that I have tasted and created! I can applaud myself at this master piece. Kashmir is famous for its Apple Orchards. People always refer Kashmiri Apple as the epitome of quality.
The hint of fresh mint and finely diced apples in yogurt, spiced with salt, red chili pepper and roasted cumin powder, is such a fresh breeze. My oldest said that she would like to try a smoothie out it. Doesn’t that sound like a delicious idea.
What is Kashmiri Pulao?
There is a confession to make here – though the recipe says “Kashmiri Mix Vegetables Pulav”, it is more of Kashmiri Cuisine inspired. I read so many recipes online, all of them had nuts and dry fruits for sure but vegetables were missing.
When I planned on this recipe, I wanted this to be complete meal and not just an accompaniment or another dish on the table. I added vegetables on hand and used the spices that are mandatory in Kashmiri cuisine. Fennel Powder (saunf) is an essential spice in the cuisine and is used liberally.
I have also used some Garam Masala to it which is not madatory in Kashmiri cuisine, but it added a lot of warmth in the recipe.
When I started making this Pulav, the whole house smelled with love and desire. There was something very regal and pious about it at the same time.
Every single bite was heavenly. The aroma drove me crazy, (good crazy) and I kept putting bite after bite in my mouth, without stopping and I am sure that I over stuffed myself. It was a pure foodgasmic moment for a glutton like me. I was in foodcoma.
You have to try it to experience what I am saying.
Some other Pulav / Pilaf recipes from the blog are – Tawa Pulav , Jodhpuri Pulav , Wadi Matar Pulav , Gobhi Anar Pulav with Garlic Spinach Raita , Onion Pulav , Mint & Peas Pulav etc.
Can I make this recipe in Instant Pot?
Yes absolutely. The complete recipe is given in the recipe card.
Infact Instant Pot makes the best rice recipes.
Ingredients of the Recipe
Spices – cumin seeds, fennel powder, garam masala, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick, black cardamom, green cardamom, mace, salt and sugar.
Fresh Produce – Onion, Ginger, Green chili, Potato, Peas, Carrots, cauliflower, Bell Pepper.
Nuts – Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews, and Raisins.
Saffron with Milk
Garnish – Mint Leaves, Garam Masala, Fennel Powder
Apple Mint Raita Ingredients – Yogurt, Apple, Mint leaves, Salt, Red chili powder, roasted cumin powder
Kitchen Equipment for the Recipe
Heavy Bottom Pan with lid if making in Pan.
6 quart Instant Pot if making in IP.
The recipe is broken down into 6 main steps.
- Soaking the Basmati Rice.
- Chopping all the vegetables in equal size.
- Sauteing the nuts.
- Sauteing the Onions till brown.
- Cooking the vegetables with rice and saffron.
- Once cooked, layering with browned onions, nuts and rose essence and let stand (covered) for another 10 minutes for flavors to seep in.
How to make Vegetarian Kashmiri Pulao?
Vegetable Kashmiri Pulao Recipe - Stove Top & Instant Pot instructions
- Instant Pot 6 quart or Mealthy Multipot for Instant Pot cooking
- Measuring Spoons, Measuring Cups, Stirring Spoon,
- Chopping board and knife
- Kitchen Colander
- Heavy bottom large pan with lid for Pan cooking
- 2 cups Basmati Rice washed and soaked for 20 minutes
- 3&1/2 cups Water if making in Pan / 2 cups of water if making in Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp Ginger minced/grated
- 1 large Onion, red thinly sliced
- 1 large Potato peeled and cubed into 1 inches
- 2 medium Carrots peeled and cubed into 1 inches
- 1 cup Cauliflower florets cut into large florets
- 1 medium Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
Oils & Spices
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 4 Cloves
- 1 big Cinnamon Stick
- 1 small pc Mace
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 2 fat pinches Saffron dissolved in 3 tbsp warm milk
- 1 tsp Rose Essence
- 10 leaves Mint leaves torn roughly
- 1/4 tsp Fennel Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
Apple Mint Raita Ingredients
- 1&1/2 cups Plain Yogurt
- 1 small Apple finely chopped
- 8 leaves Mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
Soaking the Rice
- Wash and soak the Basmati rice for 20 minutes. Meanwhile work on the vegetables and nuts.
Preparing the Vegetables
- Wash and chop the vegetables, as mentioned above in ingredients. Set aside.
Sauteing the Nuts
- Instant Pot Instructions - Place inner pot inside Instant Pot and plug it in. Press SAUTE and set on medium. Add ½ tbsp ghee in it when screen displays HOT. Add cashews, almonds and walnuts to it. Saute for 1 minute or less, till they are pinkish brown. Add raisins now and toss in hot ghee with nuts. Take them out and set aside. The inner pot will still have some ghee in it. Let it be there.
- Pan Instructions- Take a heavy bottom deep and big sauce pan. Heat ½ tbsp ghee in it and reduce the temperature to low. Add cashews, almonds and walnuts to it. Saute on low heat for about 2 minutes, till they are pinkish brown. Add raisins now and toss in hot ghee with nuts. Take them out and set aside. The pan will still have some ghee in it. Let it be there.
Sauteing the Onions
- Instant Pot Instructions - Add 1 tbsp of ghee more to the inner pot and keep it on HIGH SAUTE MODE. Add finely sliced onions to it. Sprinkle 1 pinch of sugar to it. Saute it for about 3-4 minutes, till golden brown. Sugar helps in caramelizing and browning the onions effectively and faster. Once golden brown, take the golden onion out and set aside.
- Pan Instructions - Add 1 tbsp of ghee to the same pan and heat. Add finely sliced onions to it. Sprinkle 1 pinch of sugar to it. Saute it on medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes, till golden brown. Sugar helps in caramelizing and browning the onions effectively and faster. Once golden brown, take the golden onion out and set aside.
Preparing Kashmiri Mix Vegetables Pulao
- Instant Pot Instructions - Keep the Instant pot on Saute Mode and heat 1&1/2 tbsp more Ghee to it. Add bay leaf, cumin seeds, cloves, mace, green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon stick to it. Saute for 30 seconds till aromatic. Now add all the vegetables to it along with1 tsp fennel powder, ½ tsp garam masala. Saute for about 3 minutes. Drain the water from soaked rice and add the rice to the inner pot with the vegetables. Cook further for 1 minute. Now add the soaked saffron along with milk plus 2 cups water. Give it a good stir so that the bottom of the pan is properly deglazed. Now switch off the saute mode. Put the lid on instant pot and lock it to SEALING position. Press PRESSURE COOK MODE and set it on high for 5 minutes. As the timer goes off, follow QPR (quick pressure release).
- Pan Instructions - Use the same pan and heat 1&1/2 tbsp Ghee to it. Add bay leaf, cumin seeds, cloves, mace, green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon stick to it. Saute for 30 seconds on low flame, till aromatic. Now add all the vegetables to it along with 1 tsp fennel powder, ½ tsp garam masala. Saute for about 3 minutes. Drain the water from soaked rice and add the rice to the pan with the vegetables. Cook further for 1 minute. Now add the soaked saffron along with milk plus 3&1/2 cups water. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes till all the water is absorbed. Switch off the heat.
Layering & Garnishing
- Instant Pot Instructions - Open the lid. Spray rose essence. Sprinkle mint leaves, golden brown onions and lightly toasted nuts and raisins. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pan Instructions - Open the lid. Spray rose essence. Sprinkle mint leaves, golden brown onions and lightly toasted nuts and raisins. Cover with lid again and let stand for 10 minutes.
Forking the Pulav for mixing and evenly distributing the flavors (for IP & Pan)
- Open the lid. Take a small fork and gently start forking through the grains of basmati, while folding the ingredients with light hand. DO THIS SLOWLY. Delicious Kashmiri Mix Vegetables Pilaf is ready.
Preparing Apple Mint Raita
- Take a bowl. Add yogurt and water to it. Mix well. Add mint leaves and chopped apple along with spices. Mix all the ingredients with a spoon. The raita is ready. Refrigerate till ready to use.
I am sure you are going to try this recipe soon. Please post your feedback in comments section when you try it.
Can’t make it now? Pin it for later!
This pulao looks divinely delicious!Wowed!
Thank you ☺️ dear
Looks Heavenly! I am bookmarking it dear !
This recipe is a keeper for sure. Lovely combo Sonal.
thanks dear 🙂