Kadhai means Wok ! Kadhai Masala means Spice mix for kadhai or wok.
Kadhai dishes like Kadhai Paneer, Kadhai Mushroom, Kadhai Chicken etc are some very popular dishes to order when you go to an Indian restaurant.
Kadhai dishes are prepared in some robust mix of spices which are coarsely ground and then added to the dish for that mouthful peppery and firey flavors. The Kadhai or Wok dishes are not curries but are moderately curried, more on drier side which we call lipatwa in Hindi, which means hugged tight;). The curry is thick and coats the big pieces of vegetables or meat along with spice :). Made some Kadhai Paneer, which I will bring for FF#27 soon!
Now the recipe. This is a keeper, I promise :).
Kitchen Equipments Required : a heavy bottom steel or hard anodized pan, spice / dry ingredient / coffee grinder, a jar with a tight lid, spatula
- Coriander seeds : 4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds : 1 tbsp
- Black pepper corn : 1/2 tsp
- Cloves : 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Kashmiri chillies or Degi Mirch : 3 to 4. You may use 1 tsp of fancy paprika too.
- Bay leaf : 2 small or 1 big
- Cinnamon stick : 1 inch small
- Black cardamom : 1
- Dry roast all the ingredients together in the pan, on lower to medium flame till you get a nice aroma. Don't burn them.
- Cool the spices to room temperature.
- Ground them coarse in the grinder. Don't make a fine powder. If you can, grind them in pestle and morsel. That is the trick to this pice mix that it is not supposed to be fine.
- Store in an air tight jar. Good for 2-3 months.
Suggestion to use
- You may use it with anything as a spice mix, not necessarily Kadhai dishes only. I have added it to khichdi (rice and lentil mash) and topped few other dishes too.
Let me know if you try this!