A bold mango chutney or a spicy mango compote is a perfect solution for your dipping and braising needs.
Mango is native to India. It is pickled and preserved in many ways. Spicy pickles, sweet pickles, instant pickles, chutneys of various kinds are some of the examples.
I have fond memories of Mango chutney from my childhood. As far as I remember, we used to eat it spoonfuls of it. My mom still eats the sweeter version as a dessert sometimes. Weird? Right? But food is to each one’s own heart.
Summers would come and mangoes will fill the market scene. Tonnes and loads of Mangoes everywhere. My small town was surrounded by Mango Orchards. We used to go for morning walks in our summer break and the morning breeze would fill the air with sweet smell of ripening mangoes in the orchards.
Another great memory of Mango Chutney is from our stay in UK, almost a decade ago. For the first time ever in my life, I ate SANDWICHES with Mango chutney as one of the main ingredients. UK was the country that actually introduced me to different “kinds” of Mango Chutneys.
They had Grey Chutney, Spicy Chutney, Sweet Chutney, Spicy & Sweet Chutney, and what not chutney. It was quite an eye opening experience. May be the original mango chutney traveled with them from India and got adapted as desired, like many curries.
The Mango chutney is perfect accompaniment to crackers, mathris and sandwiches. I see many meat lovers using it as a filling for their meats. The possibilities are endless.
- Green mango : 1&1/2 cup grated
- Sugar : 1/2 cup
- Salt and red chili powder : to taste
- Nigella seeds kalonji : 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon : 1 big piece
- Whole black pepper : 5-6
- Cloves : 3-4
- Black cardamom : 1
- Fenugreek seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder :1/2 tsp
- Whole red chili : 1-2
- Vinegar white : 1 tsp
- Ground coarsely, all the whole spices except nigella seeds(kalonji) and cumin powder in a coffee grinder.
- Add all the ingredients: grated green mango, sugar and spices, vinegar and salt together in a pan.
- Heat on low to medium flame for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- It is ready. Cool it and store in the fridge. It is good for a month.
Bookmark this fool proof recipe to try this when Mangoes are in season and enjoy with practically anything including flat breads, wraps, sandwiches, mathris, crackers etc.
Always, EAT HAPPY! STAY HAPPY!