Zafrani Jei Badaam ki Kheer / Saffron Oats Almonds Porridge
Some experiments leave you amazed and in an awe of the strength of the ingredients used. Zafrani Jei Badaam ki Kheer / Saffron Oats Almonds Porridge was one such experiment which left everybody in the family speechless and asking for more.
Jei or Jaee is Oats and Badaam is Almonds, Zafrani is Saffron infused.
We are relocating to Dallas in summer. It is time for me empty the kitchen cupboards so that I don’t have to transfer much of the open produce. This kheer originated in such need of finishing up the open box of oats and some almonds. So I took out the ingredients and started adding bit by bit, watching out carefully. Finally finished cooking, clicked and served with apprehension. There were oats and though I love them, can’t say the same about the family. Amit finished his bowl quietly and I kept looking at his face for the reaction and he swiftly took another bowl and finished that too.
I knew it at that moment that the dessert passed with flying colors. The demand went high and supply was low.
I think I am going to make my kheer more often with oats than the rice from now on. It was hearty, delicious and healthy.
This is how I made it!
Kitchen Equipments Required
Heavy bottom pan, stirring spoon, food processor, a small bowl, chopping board and knife, stirrer.
- Milk, skimmed - 3 cups
- Oats - ¼ cup, quick oats. Grind in food processor. I used Quaker 1 minute oats.
- Almonds - ¼ cup. Grind slightly coarsely in food processor.
- Sugar 2-3 tbsp. I used 2&1/4 tbsp but then my desserts are not very high in sugar. So use as per your taste.
- Cardamom / Elaichi powder - ¼ tsp
- Saffron - 2 fat pinches dissolved in 1 tbsp cold milk.
- Pistachios - 1 tbsp, thinly sliced.
- Take the heavy bottom pan and add milk, ground oats and almonds to th pan. Take the stirrer and stir well so that there is no lump.
- Start heating the milk and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat. Add cardamom powder and dissolved saffron to the pan. Stir well.
- Cook the mixture on low flame for 10-12 minutes. Keep stirring often to avoid sticking.
- It is done. Serve and garnish with sliced pistachios and elaichi powder. It can be served warm or cold.
2. Serve it for dessert or breakfast.
3. It is heart healthy.
Keep me posted if you try this delicious kheer or porridge.
In my kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY!