Easy Recipe for Besan ki Barfi with Detailed Steps
Besan ki Barfi is that perfect Indian sweet which fills the notes of the air with its aroma and warmth. The chill in the air starts conveying to embrace the magic of something warm and something comforting. This Barfi fits the bracket perfectly.
My dear friends, you have not stumbled upon this post of Glutenfree Fudge by chance, but it is the fate that you are here, adoring the pictures and ready to learn the art of making this rustic and desi mithai with detailed easy steps.
It is getting chillier outside, and my urge to have a piece of some Indian mithai every now and then is getting stronger with the cold weather.
Can I confess? Since I have made these, I have been eating more than suggested pieces of Besan ki Barfi. You just can’t stop at one!
What is besan? Besan is the milled flour of Gram, which luckily is glutenfree as well. Besan is used widely in indian cuisine in various kinds of recipes from savory to sweet. I would say -savory more than the sweet.
Besan is supposed to be warm in its nature as per Ayurveda . In many Indian households, Besan Ladoo and Besan Halwa is a common scene during winters. I guess it has to do something with the warm nature of Gram flour.
Here is a little trivia about Besan- not only is Besan used in cooking, it is a very popular ingredient used for skin care as well. Isn’t is brilliant ? The ultimate best ingredient and a must have for every pantry.
Since I did not learn it from my mom, I referred the recipe to Nisha Madhulika and adapted it from there. She is my go to reference source, for Indian recipes that I didn’t learn from home.
The recipe is divided into 4 steps for basic understanding.
- The mixing and Prepping of Besan / Gram flour
- Roasting the Besan (People in America), read the post for tips and tricks to tackle the besan we find in America.
- Making Sugar syrup of 1 Thread Consistency.
- setting the Barfi / Fudge
FEW IMPORTANT NOTES TO REMIND YOU TO MAKE BESAN KI BARFI.
- The quality of Besan is different in every country and with every brand, especially in America. When I watched the videos of other bloggers to learn this recipe, their Besan was thick when added with Ghee, and roasted. When I started making the Barfi, the Besan that I used, became complete liquid with ghee. THERE IS NOTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT IT! Follow my recipe as is and whatever the Besan you are using, your Barfi will come out great.
Different people use different consistency of sugar syrup for setting the Barfi. With my experience, I have used sugar syrup of 1 thread consistency since I like my Barfi to be soft set. If you like hard set Barfi, then you can make sugar syrup of 2 thread consistency.
If eaten in excess, Besan can upset your stomach and make you extremely thirsty. These are indulging, so keep a track! 😍
This is how to make GlutenFree Besan ki Barfi!
Easy Recipe for Besan ki Barfi with Detailed Steps - GlutenFree Fudge
- Besan / Gram Flour - 1 cup
- Sooji / Semolina - 2 tbsp
- Mawa / Khoya Powder - 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Elaichi / Cardamom - pods of 4 with skin removed
- Saffron - 1 fat pinch soaked in 1 tbsp warm milk
- Almond & Pistachio Flakes for garnish - about 1 tbsp in all
Grease a plate of either 6 inches or 8-9 inches in diameter. Set aside.
PREPARING THE BESAN BEFORE ROASTING
- Take a bowl and add besan + sooji + 2 tbsp ghee to it. Rub the mixture between fingers till all the ingredients are mixed well and form a grainy texture.
- Now pass the grainy besan mixture through a sieve for even grain.
- Besan mix is ready for roasting.
ROASTING THE BESAN MIX
- In a heavy bottom pan, add Besan mix with remaining ghee and roast for 7-8 minutes on medium low heat till it turns dark brown. Keep stirring continuously to avoid burning. Control the heat between medium to low medium for best results.
- Remove the besan mix from the pan and set aside.
- IMPORTANT NOTE WHILE ROASTING THE BESAN - As I mentioned above, the besan quality differs. Besan might become liquid-y when added with ghee, on heat (very common with the besan available in USA). Do not get worried with it. Keep roastig the besan in liquid-y form as well, till it turs golden brown. Please do not burn it. Continous stirring and temperature control is the key.
MAKING SUGAR SYRUP
- In the same pan, add sugar and water. Heat on medium high till sugar dissolves in water. Add cardamom powder and then reduce the heat and cook on lower medium heat for about 3 minutes till you obtain 1 thread consistency.
- Check out the detailed recipe of making 1 thread con]sistency sugar syrup towards the end.
MAKING THE BESAN BARFI
- Lower the heat of the pan, add Mawa/Khoya, Besan Mix and Saffron with milk. Mix well.
- Switch off the heat and transfer the barfi mix in a greased pan of about 6 inches for thick Barfi. For thin Barfi like mine, spread in a container of 8-9" in diameter. I like mine thin since it gives me more portion control.
- Sprinkle with almond and pistachio flakes. Pat these down gently with the back of a spoon.
- Set aside for 2 hrs for the Barfi to set!
- Cut into desired shape and relish.
RECIPE TO MAKE Sugar Syrup of 1 Thread consistency
- Heat sugar with water on medium till it dissolves completely. Lower the heat and heat for about 3 minutes for 1 thread consistency.
- To check the consistency, place a drop of sugar syrup at the back of cold steel or ceramic container. Let it cool down a bit for few seconds.
- Dip your forefinger in the slightly cold syrup drop. Press the Syrup with thumb and stretch slowly while pulling the thumb away from the finger.
- While pulling away, you will notice thread formation. If it is 1/2 thread or not even beginning to thread, then cook slightly more. If you notice 1 thread pulling out undisturbed, the Syrup is ready.
- You can store these in air tight container, when they are cooled down to the room temperature.
- For longer shelf life, store in refrigerator.
This barfi is perfect as hostess gift, as a dessert for dinners, perfect mithai for upcoming fetsivals and to keep you warm on a cold day as well.
You can order these products from amazon to make this recipe. This will help me earn a small commission to keep the blog running.
Can’t make it now? PIN 👇BESAN KI BARFI FOR LATER !
In my kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY!
Hope you will make this Besan ki Barfi soon.