These Air Fryer Bread Rolls are the best of the kind. It is a Guilt-Free Bread Roll Recipe without losing the taste. Crispy and Comforting – these rolls are so darn good. It is a perfect indulging vegetarian appetizer or weekend brunch recipe.
Scroll down to the end for the complete recipe with detailed pictures. In between, there are many useful tips and suggestions made regarding the recipe and the air fryers.
The Best Philips Air Fryer Bread Rolls Recipe – Easy & Guilt-free
Bread Rolls are my childhood favorite. I remember that my mum wouldn’t make these often. And whenever she made these I couldn’t stop at 2 or 3. BREAD ROLLS are that addictive.
Deep fried till golden, filled with deliciousness, and so crispy, it is really sinful. YUM.
There were never enough of these. I would always complain that mum never made these enough. We were always left craving for more.
Ugh! Gone are the days when I would pop quite a few of these without a single burp and still look for leftovers. Thanks to the invention of the AIR FRYER, I can make these guilt free and eat 1 or 2 more than required.
What is a Bread Roll?
If you go on the Wikipedia, bread roll is shown as a Big Roll of Bread.
My version of Bread Roll is what I grew up with. This Bread Roll is made with a slice of Bread that is filled with a Potato Stuffing. It is then deep fried till golden and crispy. In this case, I have Air-Fried Bread Rolls in my Philips Air-Fryer.
Main Ingredients of a Bread Roll
The main ingredients of the Bread Roll are –
- Slices of Bread. Thick slices are preferred by me as they seal better and hold the stuffing also better.
- Stuffing of the Rolls. Traditionally, Potato stuffing is used to fill inside the Bread Roll.
How to make a Bread Roll?
Making a Bread Roll is a simple recipe. It is a few Steps Recipe.
- Preparing the Stuffing for the Bread Roll.
- Getting the Slice of Bread Ready to make a Roll.
- Making a Roll by placing the stuffing inside the bread and rolling + sealing it tight.
- Deep Frying the Bread Roll. And now we can Air Fry these Bread Rolls with much less guilt.
What other kinds of fillings or Stuffings can be used inside a Bread Roll?
As I have mentioned above, Potatoes are used to make the stuffing. But recipes are meant to be adapted. You can make any stuffing to fill up these rolls. Here are a few suggestions.
- Potato Stuffing – Use boiled potatoes. Add seasonings and flavorings of your choice. I always use CURRY SEASONING. You may use Italian herbs, or just black pepper + salt, or any seasoning of your choice.
- Add Peas to the Potatoes. Just thaw and microwave the peas, add these to the potatoes with the seasoning of your choice.
- You may add Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) to the potatoes also.
- Cheese is a great addition to this filling. I normally add a cube of cheese or shredded cheese in the middle of the stuffing and then work around.
- You may add other minced vegetables to this stuffing like broccoli, cabbage, carrots, beans etc.
- Onions and Garlic can be easily added to the stuffing.
- You may either pre-cook the stuffing on gas top. Or use just the boiled vegetables. I do not cook my stuffing.
Benefits of Using an Air Fryer
Investing in an Air-Fryer is the best thing I have done so far.
- The most important benefit of using an AIR FRYER is – GUILT-FREE COOKING & EATING.
- Most of my Deep Fried Favorites can now be done in minimal oil and still crisp and delicious.
- It gives me the option of eating my favorite still maintaining a healthier lifestyle.
- Air-Frying food does not leave that stale oily smell in the house either which otherwise is prominent when deep frying.
- Many of the air-fryer recipes can be oven baked too. But the best part about using an air-fryer is it cooks the food in less time and in a more efficient way (electricity consumption).
- Another great use is heating leftover pizza, or frozen food is so quick and efficiently done in the air-fryer.
- My 14 years old daughter can use it by herself. Yup, it is Teenager friendly but under your supervision ofcourse.
- I have often heard people saying that they would rather eat the deep fried version than this healthier version. It is understandable that it is very hard to make a shift from your childhood favorite foods. But as we grow older, our metabolism can not take that much deep fried food. I would rather eat it often and healthier than eating once in a few months and then overdo it.
Change is the only CONSTANT, be it life or food. We make changes to live a better life. Then why not food? Especially when the taste and texture are not compromised.
What kind of an Air Fryer should I buy?
There are many kinds of Air fryer available in the market. Philips Air Fryer is my first choice since I have used it. One of my dear friends uses Delonghi Air Fryer and swears by it. Nuwave is another popular model.
I own Philips Air Fryer HD9220 Model. It is on sale for $99.99. The original price is $249.95. It is 2.7 quart model. I love using it but it is a smaller model. If I have to buy a new one, then I will go for the larger model – XL or XXL, since I use it more now.
Another one is the same model in VIVA. It is on SALE right now. Grab one now for $137.74. The original price is $249.95.
The Philips XL Air Fryer is also on sale. It is great for your large family or if you entertain a lot. The sale price is $249.99 and the original price is $349.95. HURRY!
Delonghi Air Fryer is another great brand for Air-Fryer.
Another economical air fryer available in the market is Nuwave Air Fryer.
Check out this Air Fryer Accessory Pack which is compatible with many models.
I used this Pastry Brush to oil the bread rolls lightly. It is very efficient.
Some other Vegetarian Snacks & Appetizers from Simplyvegetarian777
Mozzarella and Jalapeno croquettes, Chana Dal Kebabs, Potato & Poha Tater Tots, Indori Poha, Aloo Bread Tikki, Cutlets, and many more. Check out this COLLECTION of 20 plus RECIPES for Brunch and Breakfast.
Simplyvegetarian777 Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes
How to make Easy Philips Air Fryer Bread Rolls?
Air Fryer Bread Rolls - Easy Vegetarian Appetizer
- 8 Slices Bread I used multigrain. Use the similar kind for best results.
- 2 large Potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 tsp Ginger grated/minced
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder use less or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala use less or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Amchur/ Dry Mango powder
- 1&1/2 tsp Salt use less or more to taste
- 1 Large Bowl of Water for Dipping the Bread Slices
- To Brush Cooking Oil
Preparing the Stuffing
- Take a large bowl. Add mashed potatoes and all the spices as mentioned above. Mix together to make a smooth filling or stuffing. Set aside. You may divide the stuffing in 16 equal parts and 16 balls out of it. Set aside.
Preparing the Bread Slices for Bread Rolls
- Place the bread slices on a chopping board. Cut them into rectangles. If the sides of the bread are too thick, then cut the sides of the bread too. Sometimes I cut the sides and sometimes I do not. It really does not matter unless the sides are too thick. If the sides of your bread are too thick, then cut them off.
Preparing the WORK STATION to make Bread Rolls
- Place the AIR FRYER in an open space. Please do not place it to a closed end. It needs venting space. Plug it in. Place the prepared stuffing + Cut Slices of the bread + the bowl filled with water + a big plate close to each other. See the picture.
Preparing the AIR FRYER BREAD ROLLS
- Pick half the slice of the bread. Give it a quick dip in the water bowl. Immediately take it out.
- Place it between palms and squeeze the access water.
- Now place the stuffing ball in the middle of the soaked slice of bread.
- Wrap the rest of the soaked slice around the stuffing. Wrap it really tight, so that no stuffing is showing outside.
- Finish preparing all the BREAD ROLLS and place them on a plate. Set aside.
AIR FRYING BREAD ROLLS
- Now prepare the Air fryer for Air frying the bread rolls. Plug it in. Set it at 390*F. Set the timer to 20-22 minutes that includes the PRE HEATING TIME.
- Meanwhile, take the Silicone Brush and apply a little oil on the prepared bread rolls. This is not mandatory but avoids sticking at the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- After Preheating the Air fryer for 3-4 minutes, open the basket. Apply a little oil at the bototm of the basket also to avoid sticking.
- Now place the prepared bread rolls inside the basket of the air fryer. Place 6-8 at a time. dependig upon the size of your air fryer.
- Put the basket back in the air fryer. Air Fry these Bread Rolls for about 15-18 minutes till they are golden brown from all the sides. At about 10 minutes, in between, open the basket and turn the sides of the bread rolls for even cooking.
- Once golden and air fried from all the sides, take them out. Serve these hot with Tomato ketchup and Green Cilantro Chutney.
I am sure that many of you will be trying this recipe soon. Please leave your feedback in the comments section.
Can’t make it now? Pin this Easy Vegetarian Air Fryer Bread Rolls Recipe for Later.
In my kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY.