Instant Pot Pasta Primavera made with Rainbow Carrots and other Seasonal Vegetables is a perfect recipe for the Holiday Season. Serve it for Thanksgiving or any Dinner night. It is simply delicious.
Important – Scroll down towards the end for COMPLETE RECIPE of Pasta Primavera given in a recipe card. In between, I have included instructions to cook boxed mac & cheese, Spaghetti, Fettuccine, Penne Marinara etc., in Instant Pot. It is a complete guide on HOW TO COOK PASTA IN INSTANT POT.
Updated – 3/16 to add Instant Pot Spaghetti Instructions
The Best Thanksgiving Pasta Recipe – Instant Pot Pasta Primavera Recipe
If given a choice, my kids will eat pasta every day. Especially during the Fall and Winter Season. The hearty and bite-full texture of Pasta makes it a very comforting dish.
Fettuccine and Orecchiette are 2 kinds of pasta, which have become family favorite lately. Since we have used Fettuccine in the recipe, this is a Fettuccine Primavera Recipe.
Reasons to cook Pasta in Instant Pot
Cooking Pasta in Instant Pot is a revolution in my opinion. Boiling pasta and getting done with the other prep and cooking on a Gas Top is more than 1/2 an hour ordeal.
Since I have started cooking Pasta in Instant Pot, I do not do it any other way.
It takes about 20 minutes from start to finish that includes the time that it takes to build the pressure and actual time of cooking included plus releasing the pressure manually (QR- quick release).
The time factor is so convenient that I actually prepare the whole pasta dish for my kids’ lunch box at 6 am in the morning. Put the Pasta in at 6:00 am + add water + set the manual mode to 4-5 minutes + quick release of pressure = Pasta done in 20 minutes. That is a revolution or not?
The family meals have never been that quick and easy. And now, Holiday Pasta Recipes to feed a bigger crowd can be done easily in Instant Pot.
How to Cook Perfect Pasta in Instant Pot?
Cooking Pasta in Instant Pot is the easiest thing.
How – Add Pasta to the Instant Pot. Fill the water just till the level of the Pasta. Add Salt & Olive Oil. Place the valve to sealing and once the timer goes off, do a QPR (quick release).
There are 2 ways that people like their Pasta. It is either AL-DANTE or Slightly more COOKED.
1. Al-Dante pasta means the pasta with a bite. For this kind, set the timer for half the time that is mentioned on the pasta packet.
For example, if the pasta instructions ask to boil for 10 minutes, then for Instant Pot, set the timer for 5 minutes on HIGH/MORE on Manual/Pressure Cook Mode. Follow QUICK PRESSURE RELEASE manually.
2. For a slightly more cooked pasta or a softer texture – Add 1 more minute to the halftime. For example – for 10 minutes cooking time instructions, do 6 minutes and do a QUICK PRESSURE RELEASE.
What to do with the leftover Pasta water in the Instant Pot?
Most of the time, there is little water left at the bottom. You may leave it there or drain it. It depends upon the kind of pasta and the brand of the pasta too. I have experienced it personally that 2 different brands of penne pasta will have different amounts of water left at the bottom.
If there is more water left in the pot, use it as a stock to thicken your sauce for pasta.
How to make Spaghetti in Instant Pot with Sauce?
- Spaghetti is cooked pretty much like any other pasta in an Instant Pot. There is only 1 thing to remember for a long thread-like pasta or noodle – arranging them in IP.
- Since these are long, break these into halves. Now, spread them out at the bottom of the instant pot, kind of creating a circle by overlapping here and there. Or layer them in different directions like warp and weft.
- Pour the whole bottle of Marinara/Pasta Sauce on top of it. Fill the empty bottle of sauce with water and add to the spaghetti. Now fill that pasta bottle to 1/4 with water and add to the spaghetti.
- So for 16 ounce/1 pound of spaghetti, we have 1 bottle of 24 ounce bottle of Pasta Sauce + 1&1/4 bottle of 24 ounce bottle (of pasta sauce) water + salt + pepper +1 tsp Italian seasoning.
- Spaghetti normally says 10 minutes on gas top. Therefore, we are going to cook it in IP for 5 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE MODE. And once the timer goes off, we will do QPR. Once the safety valve drops down, open the lid.
- Take the IP friendly tongs, separate the noodles and toss. Top with some parmesan and chili flakes…bam…done.
How to Cook Fettuccine in Instant Pot?
- Fettuccine is cooked pretty much like any other pasta in an Instant Pot. There is only 1 thing to remember for a long thread-like pasta or noodle – arranging them in IP.
- Since these are long, break these into halves. Now, spread them out at the bottom of the instant pot, kind of creating a circle by overlapping here and there. Or layer them in different directions.
- Add Olive oil and salt. Add about 2&1/2 cups or more of water.
- Cook as per instructions. My packet said 10 minutes, so I did 5 minutes on HIGH/MORE on manual/pressure cook mode and followed QR (quick release) of the pressure.
- Open. Stir with a Pasta Ladle. Separate out a bit. There was little water left at the bottom. I didn’t drain it. But if you are boiling it for later, then drain the water.
Can I make Packaged Mac & Cheese in Instant Pot?
This is the best way to make Mac & Cheese ever. Dump the Macaroni from the packet inside the Inner liner of the Instant Pot. Add water until the level of pasta.
Normally Mac & cheese calls for 10-12 minutes of cooking on gas top. So for IP, Cook it on High Manual/Pressure Cook Mode for 5 minutes & then QPR. Open the Lid. Add the cheese sauce that came in the packet. Mix well. Your Mac & Cheese is ready in Instant Pot.
How to make Pasta Marinara in Instant Pot?
Add a box of Penne or pasta of your choice to the Instant Pot. Pour 1 bottle of Marinara Sauce to the pasta. Now use the same Pasta Sauce bottle. Fill it up with water and add it to the pasta. It will need about 1&1/4 bottle of water.
Stir it all well. Add some salt, pepper & seasoning of your choice. Penne is about 12 minutes on the gas top. For Instant Pot, Cook it for 6 minutes on pressure cook mode. Follow QPR. Stir it. It is done.
Ingredients Used in Pasta Primavera Instant Pot Recipe
This is a perfect Thanksgiving Pasta Recipe. The use of dry Rosemary and Thyme gives this pasta dish that strong balmy and earthen flavors that call out fall in every bite. It is perfect to feed your guests for your any Holiday Party. Hence it is a great Holiday Pasta Recipe as well.
- Fettuccine – you may use any kind of pasta for this recipe
- Olive Oi
- Fall Vegetables
- Black Pepper powder
- Garlic Powder
- Marinara Sauce
Ways to Personalize the Pasta Primavera Recipe
- Use your choice of Pasta for this recipe.
- You may use any available seasonal vegetables for this recipe.
- Use your choice of herbs in this recipe
- Make it VEGAN PASTA PRIMAVERA by skipping the Parmesan Cheese.
- Personalize it to be GLUTEN-FREE pasta primavera by using gluten-free pasta and gluten-free cheese.
- Add Protein of your choice – Navy beans, chickpeas, Seitan strips etc will work wonderfully in the recipe.
Kitchen Gadgets Used to make Primavera Pasta in Instant Pot
Some Vegetarian Instant Pot Recipes from Simplyvegetarian777
Recipe to make Pasta Primavera in Instant Pot
This Recipe has 3 parts –
- Cooking Fettuccine
- Cooking Vegetables
- Mixing all together
It can be done 2 ways –
- Either, do the whole thing in Instant Pot. Saute the vegetables first in IP. Then Cook Fettuccine in IP. Finally, mix it all together with sauce in IP and toss well.
- Or cook fettuccine in IP. Oven Bake or Pan Roast the Vegetables. Finally, add all of it together in IP and toss well with sauce.
You pick your choice how to do it and make this yummy meal. I did the whole hubla in IP in 3 Steps. Here is How-
Instant Pot Pasta Primavera
- 1 pound/packet Fettuccine or Penne or medium shells
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup Carrots (Use Colorful Carrots if available) cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup Bell Peppers/Capsicums (Use Colorful bell peppers if available) cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large Onion sliced
- 1 cup Zucchini cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup Spinach or Green of your choice washed and chopped roughly
- 5 cups Water
Oil & Spices
Garnish or Toppings
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- To Taste Chili Flakes
- The Timings mentioned in the recipe are actual cooking time. It does not include the time Instant Pot takes to come to kickstart every function.
Read the Whole Post above to get the idea on personalizing this recipe + understanding the details of cooking Pasta in IP.
Cooking Vegetables on SAUTE MODE in Instant Pot
- Place the Inner pot inside the instant pot. Plug it in. Press the Saute Mode and set it on High for 10 minutes. Once the screen displays HOT, add 2 tbsp olive oil to it. Wait for 2 seconds and then add Garlic + Onions + Carrots. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Now add Zucchini and Bell peppers to the pot. Add rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the pot. Give it a good stir. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in between. The vegetables are ready when the timer goes off. These will still have some bite to it and that's how we like it. If you want softer vegetables, then saute for more time.
- Take the vegetables out and set them aside. Scrape the bottom of the pan well. If needed, clean it with a kitchen paper towel. It is ready for cooking Fettuccine now.
Making Fettuccine or Penne or shells on Manual/Pressure Cooker Mode
- Since these are long, break these into halves. Now, spread them out at the bottom of the instant pot by overlapping here and there.
- Add 1 tbsp Olive oil and salt. Add the jar of pasta sauce + 4 to5 cups of water. It should cover just till the level of the pasta. Use water as required. Add little at a time. Stir it all. Close the lid. Set the valve at SEALING.
- Cook as per instructions. My pasta packet said 10 minutes, so I did 5 minutes on HIGH/MORE on manual/pressure cook mode and followed QR (quick release) of the pressure. Just half the time mentioned at the back of your Pasta packet under the cooking instructions.
- Once the timer goes off, do a QR (quick release of the pressure manually). Once the safety valve goes down, open the lid. Stir with a Pasta Ladle. Separate out a bit. There was little water left at the bottom. I didn't drain it. But if you are boiling it for later, then drain the water.
Mixing the Ingredients to make Pasta Primavera
- Set the Instant Pot on Saute again for 5 minutes. Add the cooked vegetables + Spinach to the cooked Fettuccine or Pasta Marinara. Add Parmesan Cheese and few chili flakes if desired. Give it a good toss.
- Your Pasta Primavera or Fettuccine Primavera is ready. It is like Restaurant style Make you Own Pasta Recipe. Serve it Hot.
I am sure you will try this recipe. Please leave your feedback in comments once tried.
Can’t make it today? PIN this Holiday Favorite Instant Pot Pasta Primavera for Later.
In my Kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY.