Instant Pot Red Thai Curry Recipe – Vegan & Glutenfree
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Instant Pot Red Thai Curry Recipe is a delicious treat from Thai Cuisine. The curry is Easy and Simple to make and has Tofu & Mix Vegetables in it. Thai Curry tastes best when served warm with some Rice on the side. It is Vegan, Glutenfree and has no added oil to it. Find some hidden Tips to personalize it. Watch the Video to follow the recipe.
Edited 4/29/2020 for the Recipe
Instant Pot Red Thai Curry Recipe – Vegan & Glutenfree + Easy & Oil-free
Any Thai Cuisine Fans in the house? Well, this abode has a house full of Thai Curry Crazies. I and the girls can literally EAT, SLEEP, WALK and TALK Red Thai Curry. Funny? Eh! You may laugh at us but the truth won’t change.
I make Red Thai Curry often at home and I make it as darn good as RESTAURANT STYLE RED THAI CURRY.
The authentic Thai Curry Paste has Fermented Shrimp Paste and Oyster or Fish Sauce added to it. And if you are a vegetarian or vegan, that is a no-no, right? I didn’t know it either till I looked into making home-made red Thai curry paste recipe. It was about 10-12 years ago and all the recipes called for fermented shrimp paste. I had to stop looking since then. Then I discovered this Thai Red Curry Paste. It was perfect. I still use it to make my Red Thai Curry and other inspired recipes. It has no fermented shrimp paste or oyster/fish sauce.
If you are thinking why should you try my recipe, then here is why –
- This curry is purely vegetarian or I can call it VEGAN.
- My recipe is Glutenfree.
- The recipe is made without any additional oil. Therefore, it is completely OIL-FREE.
- Simple and Easy Thai Red Curry Recipe to make.
- It is made in Instant Pot, therefore, you do not have to attend to it. It is Easy Peasy and done right.
Talking about Instant Pot, I totally recommend buying an Instant Pot to bring some calm in your whirlwind life.
THESE ARE THE 2 TYPES OF INSTANT POTS THAT I RECOMMEND TO PURCHASE.
- Instant Pot LUX Duo 3 quarts 6-in-1 if you do not want to make yogurt at home. It is the cheapest model and works as well as Mini Duo 3 quarts 7-in-1. The 7-in-1 has yogurt setting added.
- Instant Pot Duo Plus 6 quarts 9-in-1. I am not sure why it is 9-in-1 since it has 14 functions that you can use for cooking including baking. Amazing, right?
I have both the models and use them regularly. My stove top cooking has become minimal. I use my 3 quarts Instant Pot more often for my daily cooking of Instant Pot Vegetarian and Instant Pot Vegan Curries and other Recipes.
HERE IS WHY YOU SHOULD BUY AN INSTANT POT?
I am an Instant Pot Convert from a Hater to Lover? Yes, you got me right. Now I own 2 Instant Pots – 6 quarts 10-in-1 Insta Pot and 3 quarts Duo Mini. The mini one is used more, as it is perfect for daily cooking for a family of 4-6 people. The 6 quart comes out mainly for party preps or when I am making whole beans, chili or Rice Pulav. Here is why you should also cook in Instant Pot –
- No Baby Sitting or Attending to the Kitchen Gadget is required. You saute, you put the lid and close and set the timer and done.
- The cooking in Instant Pot is ONE POT COOKING.
- It is a MESS FREE Cooking.
- The food preparation and cooking is VERY EFFICIENT and is perfect for busy moms and professionals in today’s day and age.
- It is so SAFE TO USE, that even your teenager can use it like my daughter does.
BASIC INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE RED THAI CURRY
These are the basic ingredients that are used to make a lip-smacking delicious Red Thai Curry.
- Red Thai Curry Paste
- Coconut Milk
- Kafir Lime Leaves – optional but add fresh flavors to the curry
- Galangal – optional but adds fresh flavors to the curry.
- A Sweetening Agent like sugar
- A Spicy Agent like Chili Paste or Sauce
- A Souring Agent like Lemon or Lime Juice
- Protein of choice or Vegetables of Choice
HOW CAN YOU SUBSTITUTE SOME OF THE INGREDIENTS IN THE THAI RED CURRY RECIPE
- You can buy Red Thai Curry Paste from the market. I use Maesri Brand. Asian stores carry it and I order from amazon too.
- Coconut Milk full fat adds more flavor and intensity. You can use light coconut milk if you like.
- Kafir Lime Leaves, and Lemon Grass are already present in the Red Thai Curry Paste. Sometimes I add extra to make it taste more fresh. This is an optional step. You can make your curry by just using RED THAI CURRY PASTE and it will still taste wonderful. I sometimes use LIME ZEST when I can not find these ingredients.
- You can easily replace GALANGAL with fresh GINGER. They both belong to the same family of roots.
- Honey, Agave, regular sugar, Brown Sugar – either can be used to sweeten the curry.
- You can use Sambhal olek, sriracha or any other chili paste as a spicing agent.
- Lemon juice or Lime juice can be used for souring agent. Lime juice is preferred though.
- You can add Tofu, or seitan for vegetarian or vegan protein options. Commonly used vegetables are baby corn, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots. These can be easily found in the Asian aisle of your grocery store. But you can use any seasonal vegetables of your choice.
SOME OTHER VEGAN ASIAN RECIPES FROM THE BLOG ARE
Green Thai Curry, Kung Pao Noodles, Thai Curry Noodles, Viet vegan Pho, Thai Tom Yum, Thai Tom Kha and many more.
SOME INSTANT POT RECIPES FROM BLOG ARE
Taco Soup, Tuscan soup, Punjabi rajma / Red Beans Curry, Saag Aloo, Pav Bhaji and more.
QUICK VIDEO OF THE RECIPE
THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE RED THAI CURRY IN INSTANT POT
If you try this recipe, then give a shout out and Tag us on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and TWITTER.
Instant Pot Red Thai Curry Recipe - Vegan & Glutenfree + Easy & Oil-Free
- Instant Pot 6 quart or Mealthy Multipot
- Measuring Spoons, Measuring Cups, Stirring Spoon,
- Kitchen Colander
- Chopping board and knife
- 1 can (403 grams) Coconut Milk full fat
- 1 can /4 oz/114 grams Red Thai Curry Paste I used Maesri brand. You may use any preferred.
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce or Tamari sauce for glutenfree
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Lime Zest or 4-5 kafir lime leaves
- 1 tsp or to taste Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Cilantro/Coriander leaves with stem
- 1 large White Onion
- 1 cup Bell Peppers thinly sliced
- 1 cup Zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 cup Green Beans cut into pieces
- 1 cup Baby corn pieces or whole
- 5 stalks Green Scalions/ Green onions whites and green chopped and separated
- 1 tsp or to taste Chili Paste
- 1 cup Tofu, extra firm cut into small cubes
- Put the inner pot inside the Instant Pot and plug it in. Add the can of Coconut Milk to it. Stir it well with a whisk or a stirring spoon.
- Add Red Thai Curry Paste + Lime Zest + Brown Sugar + soy sauce to the coconut milk. Give another stir. Now add cilantro/coriander leaves along with stem to it. Give another good stir.
- Close the Lid of the Instant Pot and set the IP to SOUP/BROTH MODE. Place the valve to SEALING. Set the TIMER to 5 minutes at LESS PRESSURE and LOW SOUP/BROTH MODE.
- Once the TIMER goes OFF, let the Pressure release NATURALLY. If you are in rush then you can do QPR (quick pressure release) also.
- Switch off the Soup/Broth Mode and open the lid carefully.
- Now set the Instant Pot at Saute Mode at 10 Minutes. Add all the chopped vegetables, white part of scallions, Tofu, and Chili paste, to the curry. Stir it well.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook on Saute Mode for about 10 minutes. Now the VEGAN RED THAI CURRY is ready in INSTANT POT. Garnish with the green part of the scallions. Squeeze some Lime Juice and Serve Hot. I love to add some roasted peanuts on the top of my curry. Adds nice crunch.
- This curry is best served with Jasmine Rice but you can serve it with any kind of RICE. If you want then you can serve it with RICE NOODLES as well. AS a matter of fact, you can serve it with Quinoa also. I drink it as a stew too.
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS
- For Stove Top Instructions, check out Ruchi's Recipe from Ruchi's Kitchen - HERE.
I am sure that you are going to try this recipe soon in your INSTANT POT. If you have any questions, then feel free to ask in the comments section.
Can’t make it now? ⇓PIN⇓ IT FOR LATER!
In my kitchen you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY!
I have a bag of frozen oriental vegetables in the freezer. Could I use them for this recipe? If so, how?
Yes you can. Thaw them first and add to the curry. And warm up till they are warm.
This is one of our most favorite dishes. It always turns out perfect for us. We just make changes according to our spice level.
Thank you ☺️ Mona
If I were to substitute tofu for chicken would you sauté the chicken first then add off the liquid?
Honestly I haven’t made anything with chicken so can’t advise you. Checkout the blog Paint the Kitchen Red by Nina Panicker. She has some amazing Thai editors with chicken etc.
Soy sauce is not gluten free. Can I use a substitute or exclude it from the recipe?
I think I have included the option for Tamari sauce for glutenfree.. use that
I can’t see when you use soy sauce and lime juice in the recipe.
Thanks for pointing out Pooja. Fixed it.
Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe. I made it on this cold, snowy day and it turned out so well. Have a great day!
You made my day with your kind feedback Jennifer. I am so glad that you liked it.
I tried this curry recipe and it tasted a lil flat. I had to add ginger, garlic, some rice wine vinegar, and Tamari. I would suggest just using one can of coconut milk. 2 cans resulted in a bit of a watered down consistency & taste, and I had to simmer curry for like an add’l 35 min to evaporate the extra liquid.
Thanks for trying and the feedback Zoe. This is how I make curry for my family and they love it.we like more soupy curry than the thick.
If you read my whole post,I have mentioned that you can adapt it to add more flavors like adding galangal, kafir Lime leaves, and lemon grass etc.
Also my recipe provides a good base for anybody to develop it further to their personal taste.
Isn’t that awesome that we can adapt and develop the recipes? I do that all the time!
Thanks for your time!
This curry looks delicious, I think can make it at home and thanks for the info about the replacement material. It will really help a lot of people when it could not find a recipe ingredient
Thank you so much for reading it. I relaly appreciate it !
I love red curry and this dish looks and sounds absolutely delicious! Can’t wait to try this recipe!
Thanks Ntaalie. Keep me posted if you do :).
Love all the info in this post!! Very nice! Also, delicious recipe!! Simply delicious!
This curry looks divine. I bet it tastes so. I love curries and I love that you made this in an instant pot. Yum
Quick, easy and delicious! My favorite things!