Instant Pot General Tso’s Meatballs are utterly yummy & so quick to put together. It takes literally under 20 minutes and just handful of ingredients to put together. Winner recipe. Kids and husband approved. 😀
Instant Pot General Tso’s Meatballs
Since it is one of the quickest, & easiest recipe, you can make it even on a busy weekday. Not to mention, it is the perfect weekend comfort meal too.
The 2 things that you want to keep handy are Vegan General Tso’s Sauce and Vegan Meatballs.
Because it is so delicious, It should be on your bi-monthly menu.
- It comes together in less than 20 minutes from start to finish.
- You require practically just 5 ingredients recipe to make this.
- Now the best part – it is “almost” dump and go recipe.
- It can be your GAME NIGHT FOOD or an amazing appetizer for a party.
- Or serve it with some rice on the side and you have a quick meal on hand.
General Tso’s Meatball Vegan Recipe Ingredients
Vegan Meatballs – I pick mine from ALDI. These are awesome. You can use Gardein, Ikea or any brand that makes it. Make sure that it says vegan if you are particular about it.
General Tso’s Sauce – I get Aldi brand FUSIA. After I read the ingredients, it is actually made with handful real ingredients without any additives. The Fusia General Tso’s sauce is vegan although it doesn’t say but the ingredients do not have anything that is not vegan.
Red Chili Flakes – This is optional. Since I like to add some heat to my recipes, I use it.
Fresh Produce – Onions & Bell Peppers
What is General Tso’s?
Actually General Tso’s is a chicken dish. It is a sweet deep fried chicken dish that is served in North American Chinese Restaurants.
Although the dish is named after Zuo Zongtang, (a Chinese statesman from Qing Dynasty) but it didn’t originate from his part of the world.
You can read more about the origin part in the reference link above.
Whilst it is a chicken recipe, but then there is no reason, it can’t be a vegan recipe. Or you can’t add any thing else to it like Tofu, Tempeh, Vegan Meatballs, etc.
You can totally personalize it.
Can I make General Tso’s Sauce at home?
I have used store bought sauce for the recipe. But you can make it at home. Here is the recipe for home-made General Tso’s Sauce.
What to serve with General Tso’s Vegan Meatballs?
You can serve it with white rice on the side. Sauteed broccoli or green beans go very well with it to make a complete meal.
Can I make it in advance?
Absolutely yes. Make it in advance and refrigerate it. It can easily be re-heated.
How to re-heat the dish?
Just microwave it for few minutes and it is done.
Can I double the batch?
Yes you can double the batch easily. The timing will remain the same.
Can I make it on Gas-Top?
For Gas-Top, follow the similar instructions as mentioned for Instant Pot. You might want to thaw the frozen vegan meatballs in advance before adding to the sauce.
How to make Vegan General Tso’s Recipe?
This recipe is the simplest recipe ever.
1. Heat Oil in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Once it is hot, add onions & peppers to it. Saute on high for few minutes.
2. Now add frozen vegan meatballs & General Tso’s sauce with some water. I do add some red chili flakes to add some heat but that is optional.
3. Give it a good stir. Seal the IP with the lid. And pressure cook it on HIGH for 5 minutes. Follow NPR (natural pressure release).
4. You can garnish with some toasted sesame seeds and finely chopped scallions.
5. Serve it hot with some white rice on the side.
Simplyvegetarian777 Instant Pot Sides Recipes
SIMPLYVEGETARIAN777 INSTANT POT BREADS
Simplyvegetarian777 Instant Pot Desserts
Simplyvegetarian777 Instant Pot Vegetarian Soups
Instant Pot Vegan General Tso’s Meatballs Video
Instant Pot General Tso’s Meatballs Vegan Recipe
Instant Pot General Tso's Meatball Vegan Recipe
- Measuring Spoons, Measuring Cups, Stirring Spoon,
- Instant Pot 6 quart or Mealthy Multipot
- Chopping board and knife
- Kitchen Spatula
- 1/2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 large Onion red or white
- 1 large Bell Pepper Green or red or any color or a mix of colored bell peppers
- 1 pack of frozen VEGAN MEATBALLS (1 lb/16 oz.) I used Earth Grown vegan meatballs from Aldi.
- 1 &1/2 cups or 14.5 ounce General Tso's Asian Sauce I used Fusia brand from Aldi which is clear of any additives & the ingredients are all vegan. You can chose any. Read the instructions.
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes optional
Watch the video. Gather all the ingredients. Always read the notes for recipe options & more tips.
- You can follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest & Twitter & You-tube for regular updates. And don’t forget to sign up for our E-Letter whenever we publish a new post.
- Peel the onions. Wash onions and Bell peppers. Chop onions and bell peppers into large pieces about 1 inches squares.
- Place inner pot inside the Instant Pot. Plug it in
- Press Saute and set it on high. Once the screen displays HOT, add oil to it. After few seconds, add chopped onion and bell peppers.
- Saute the vegetables for 3-4 minutes. Then add frozen Vegan Meatballs + General Tso's Sauce + Water to it. Give it a good stir. Make sure to scrape the bottom.
- Cancel the Saute. Place the lid and secure it. Press Pressure Cook Mode and set it on HIGH for 5 MINUTES.
- Once the timer goes off, follow NPR (natural pressure release). Once the safety pin drops, open the lid and give it a good stir scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Vegan General Tso's Meatballs are ready. Serve these hot with some white rice on the side.
Can I make General Tso's Sauce at home?I have used store bought sauce for the recipe. But you can make it at home. Here is the recipe for home-made General Tso's Sauce.
What to serve with General Tso's Vegan Meatballs?You can serve it with white rice on the side. Sauteed broccoli or green beans go very well with it to make a complete meal.
Can I make it in advance?Absolutely yes. Make it in advance and refrigerate it. It can easily be re-heated.
How to re-heat the dish?Just microwave it for few minutes and it is done.
Can I double the batch?Yes you can double the batch easily. The timing will remain the same.
Can I make it on Gas-Top?For Gas-Top, follow the similar instructions as mentioned for Instant Pot. You might want to thaw the frozen vegan meatballs in advance before adding to the sauce.
I am sure you are going to make this recipe soon. Please leave your feedback in the comments section.