This Instant Pot Wonton Soup Recipe is super delicious. It is a very simple recipe that is easy to follow and fool-proof. The best part is that it is a Vegetarian Asian Soup Recipe full of flavors and balanced in spices.
I believe that delicious recipes need not be difficult. Easy and simple recipes that can be followed easily, make the best meals.
IMPORTANT – Complete Recipe is at the bottom of the post in a RECIPE CARD. Please scroll down to the bottom for that. In between, I have included some tips and other information related to the recipe.
Instant Pot Wonton Soup – Easy Vegetarian Asian Soup Recipe
I am sure that by now you must have guessed that my family loves ASIAN CUISINE. Probably we do not eat it authentic, nonetheless the flavors are rather fully bang on.
As a result, our website has tonnes of successful Vegetarian Asian Recipes that are easy to follow. You can make these with easily available ingredients. Now that is a good news, isn’t it?
What is a Wonton Soup?
Although I am not sure if that is an authentic dish, but it seems like a popular dish.
Probably it got adapted over the period of time and finally got its ground. The most important fact is that it is relished by many.
However, wonton are originally from China, the dish has similar traces from all over Asia.
Most noteworthy is that these are similar to Pot-stickers, Dumplings and Momo. Also if I may add, ravioli and tortellini etc, can be combined in the same family.
Wonton are eaten either steamed, boiled, or pan fried. Sometimes, these are deep fried as well. Furthermore, these are added in broths and soups to make a filling dish also called Wonton Soup.
Since we are a vegetarian family, we use vegetarian wonton.
Therefore, Wonton Soup is a Dish that is made of a good flavorful Broth, where wonton are added to it later, just before serving.
What are the ingredients of Wonton Soup?
As mentioned earlier, I have no idea about the authentic recipe for this Dumpling Soup. Most importantly, this is our family favorite recipe. Start from here and personalize it further if you wish to.
This recipe has 3 groups of ingredients –
- Broth Ingredients – Vegetable Stock, Water, Ginger, Garlic, Rice Vinegar, Light Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Hot Chili Oil(love this one, tastes like Chinese takeout) or Sambel Olek. Salt & Pepper if needed. Since the broth is pretty salty, I didn’t need to add any salt or pepper to it.
- Frozen Wonton – found in frozen section of Costco, Trader Joes or your local Asian Grocery Store. I used large wonton. But you may use any size small or big or make at home. Also, you can use either of these – wonton, dumpling, or potsticker.
- Garnish/Toppings – Shredded Cabbage, matchstick Carrots, Lime Juice, Green Onions Sliced.
Kitchen Equipment used
Where to buy frozen Wonton from?
Wonton are available in the market by different names. You can purchase either of these for this recipe – wonton, dumplings, potstickers or momo.
I normally purchase Vegetarian Potstickers from Costco from the frozen section. Trader Joes or your local Asian Grocery store will have it. Check out the frozen section.
If you know how to make it at home, use home-made.
What size and shape of dumplings should be used?
I would advise to go with small potstickers for the soup. Since they are more manageable in size, it is easier to eat and look good aesthetically too.
However, if you do not care like me, then use whatever is handy. I have used regular size dumplings here.
Is Wonton soup healthy?
It can be healthy depending upon how many wontons are you using. Normally 4 large vegetarian wontons are 130-140 calories. Broth is very light. Therefore, I can confidently say that it is quite a HEALTHY RECIPE.
What do you eat with Dumpling Soup?
Normally it is served as a first course. You can combine this soup with spring rolls, or any vegetarian Asian appetizer. Or make it a bigger meal and combine with Fried Rice or Noodles or Kung Pao Spaghetti etc.
What is in Wonton Soup Broth?
Wonton Soup is kind of Clear Broth. It is flavored with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. My version is further enhanced with some lime juice and hot chili oil.
How to make Healthy Wonton Soup in Instant Pot?
This Recipe is divided into 3 parts –
[complete recipe is at the end in a recipe card. please scroll further down for that.]
Preparing Broth in IP
Certainly this is the simplest step. First of all add all the broth ingredients in IP and pressure cook on high. That’s it.
The best part is that you can either do QPR(quick pressure release) or NPR(natural pressure release) for this recipe. It doesn’t matter. If you are in rush, follow QPR or else NPR.
You can prepare it ahead of time and warm it up later to serve. This broth is freezer friendly too.
Adding Frozen Wonton to the Broth
Wonton are cooked in the broth just before serving.
Because wonton can disintegrate in the broth after certain time. For that reason, you can not cook these beforehand in the broth.
But that is not hard at all. It takes about 2-3 minutes for the wonton to cook in the broth. When the broth is boiling on saute, drop the wonton in it and cook and serve.
Rather you can choose to steam the wonton separately and keep for later. Before eating, place steamed warm wonton in a bowl and pour piping hot broth over it. Top with your favorite garnishes and eat.
Garnish with finely shredded & diced Vegetables
Shredded Cabbage, matchstick carrots and green onions add a nice crunch and flavor to the soup. Since I like my vegetables crunchy, therefore I normally add it later.
If you like yours slightly soft, then boil these vegetables with wonton in the broth.
I serve these with a good dash of lime, extra soy sauce and hot chili oil on the side for personalizing.
OTHER DISHES THAT WILL GO WELL WITH THIS SOUP TO MAKE IT A MEAL –
Some other Popular Asian Recipes from the blog –
Popular Instant Pot Desserts from the Blog –
Vegetarian Instant Pot Wonton Soup Recipe
1. You can prepare the broth in advance. Add vegetable wonton later before serving. 2. Or you can keep the vegetable wonton steamed and ready to be served. When serving the soup, add steamed vegetable wonton and add the piping hot broth on it. 3. The broth can be frozen. It can be doubled easily in quantity. 4. This is a great broth to be used as a base for any Asian recipe. Add noodles or ramen to it and make Ramen Noodle Soup. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Garnish & Toppings
Making Vegetable Wonton Soup
GARNISH THE SOUP
Amount Per Serving Trans Fat 0g
1. You can prepare the broth in advance. Add vegetable wonton later before serving.
2. Or you can keep the vegetable wonton steamed and ready to be served. When serving the soup, add steamed vegetable wonton and add the piping hot broth on it.
3. The broth can be frozen. It can be doubled easily in quantity.
4. This is a great broth to be used as a base for any Asian recipe. Add noodles or ramen to it and make Ramen Noodle Soup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.