Easy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Easy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup warms you up from inside out and is so comforting. I ate it with home-made yummy Bread. Though it is a VEGETARIAN WILD RICE SOUP recipe, you can completely make it a VEGAN WILD RICE SOUP with a minor change.
Important – Please scroll down to the end of the post for the COMPLETE RECIPE. It is given in a recipe card. In between, you will find tips & more info about the recipe.
Delicious & Easy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe
I had tried this soup at a friend’s place some time ago. The texture, the taste & the creaminess of this soup left me speechless. Since then it has become my new soup love.
Have I told you that I love soups? And I can have it for any meal. The Vegetable Soups are really filling, nutritious and full of flavors. A bog bowl of it can make you feel content. I often combine my soups with a home-made loaf of bread.
Finally, I gathered the ingredients and set my Instant Pot to work. And boy am I glad that I made it in the Instant Pot. The mushrooms and little kale added so much more flavor to the soup. Also, this is a lighter version of the regular WILD RICE SOUP. Isn’t it a win-win? FIGURE FRIENDLY, WEIGHT FRIENDLY, LIGHT, NUTRITIOUS & of course DELICIOUS.
It is a very simple and easy recipe that doesn’t require advanced cooking skills. You are going to use only 2 MODES in IP to make this –
- SAUTE MODE
- PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL MODE
You can follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest & Twitter for regular updates. And don’t forget to sign up for our E-Letter whenever we publish a new post.
What are the Ingredients of Wild Rice Soup?
Important – We use amazon affiliate links to suggest appropriate ingredients and gadgets used in a recipe.
Now I believe in adaptations and personalizing the recipes.
You might feel that there are too many ingredients in this recipe. But the fact is that you have the choice to use them all or pick and choose what you want. The only advice is not to compromise on the few spices used in the recipe.
- Wild Rice Mix – I used a plain mix of wild rice. You may use any variety that you like. There are Wild Rice blends with herb mixes. Also, you may choose just Wild Rice and not a mix. The cooking time should remain the same.
- Vegetable Broth, Low Sodium
- Milk – You may use plant-based milk to make it Vegan. Almond Milk or Coconut Milk might work well.
- Corn Starch – This makes the recipe for GLUTENFREE WILD RICE SOUP in IP. If you do not have cornstarch then you may use all-purpose flour as a substitute.
- Cooking Oil or Olive Oil
- Spices – Bay Leaf, Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Turmeric, Salt & Black Pepper. Turmeric is optional. Since it gives a beautiful color and is healing in properties, I add it to many of my soups.
- Fresh Produce – Onion, Garlic, Ginger (optional), Celery, Carrots, Zucchini, Potato, Baby Portobello Mushrooms, Kale. Again, Ginger is optional. I add it to many of my soups in winter because of its digestive and warm properties.
Kitchen Gadgets Used to make this Creamy vegetable & Rice Mix Soup
- Instant Pot 6 quart or MEALTHY MULTIPOT
- Chopping board and Knife
- Kitchen Colander
- Mixing Bowls
- Stirring Spoon
- Small Kitchen Whisk
How to make Wild Rice Soup in Instant Pot?
This is a very simple recipe with only a few steps. And can be made easily in either Instant Pot 6 quart or MEALTHY MULTIPOT.
COMPLETE RECIPE with adequate measurements is given further down below in a RECIPE CARD for print and save purpose too.
Gather all the ingredients.
Wash & Soak the Wild Rice Mix till ready to use. Meanwhile, work on the vegetables.
Wash all the vegetables in a Kitchen Colander and set aside.
Chopping the Vegetables – It is an important step. Make sure that you chop big pieces of the vegetables. Since wild rice takes a longer time to cook, chunkier pieces of vegetables will retain their shape during the time. Peel the onion and potato. The onion needs to be chopped fine.
Insert the inner pot inside the Instant Pot and plug it in. Press SAUTE MODE and set it on HIGH. Once the screen displays HOT, add Cooking Oil to it. After few seconds add a Bay Leaf to it. Wait for few seconds and then add onion, garlic & ginger, celery, and carrots. Saute for 2 minutes.
Now add the Soaked Wild Rice + rest of the vegetables. Hold the Kale back to add later. Add Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Turmeric, Salt & Black Pepper + Vegetable Stock. Stir well with a spoon.
Place the lid and close it with SAFETY VALVE to SEALING. Press PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL MODE and set it t0 High for 25 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, follow NPR. Meanwhile, Prepare the slurry with corn starch and milk. Mix well with a Small Kitchen Whisk.
Open the lid and add this slurry to it. Cook on saute mode for 5 more minutes till it thickens slightly. Add chopped kale and let sit for few minutes.
Hot Wild Rice Soup is ready in IP. Serve it with some crusty bread.
Instant Pot Desserts in Mini Jars
Chocolate Cheesecake, New York Style Cheesecake, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Pumpkin Cake, Chocolate Cake
Instant Pot Vegetarian Soups
Tom Yum Soup, Taco Soup, Minestrone Soup, Corn Chowder, Asian Sweet Corn Soup, Detox Tomato Soup, Detox Lentil Soup
Easy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe
Easy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe - Creamy & Lighter
- Instant Pot 6 quart or Mealthy Multipot
- Measuring Spoons, Measuring Cups, Stirring Spoon,
- Kitchen Colander
- Chopping board and knife
- 1 cup Wild Rice Mix
- 1 pack/32 ounce or 4 cups Vegetable Stock Low Sodium
- 1 cup Milk use plant-based milk for vegan option
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup White Onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 small piece Ginger (optional) finely chopped
- 2 stalks Celery cut into chunky pieces
- 2 medium Carrots cut into chunky pieces
- 1 small Zucchini cut into chunky pieces
- 1 large Potato, yellow cut into chunky pieces
- 10 Baby Portobella Mushrooms quartered or thickly sliced
- 1 cup Kale chopped
Oil & Spices
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil or Olive Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary, dry
- 1/2 tsp Oregano, dry
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder. optional
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika, optional to add slight kick
- This is a very simple recipe with only a few steps. And can be made easily in either Instant Pot 6 quart or MEALTHY MULTIPOT. Gather all the ingredients.
- Wash & Soak the Wild Rice Mix till ready to use. Meanwhile, work on the vegetables. Wash all the vegetables in a Kitchen Colander and set aside.
- Chopping the Vegetables - It is an important step. Make sure that you chop big pieces of the vegetables. Since wild rice takes a longer time to cook, chunkier pieces of vegetables will retain their shape during the time.
- Insert the inner pot inside the Instant Pot and plug it in. Press SAUTE MODE and set it on HIGH. Once the screen displays HOT, add Cooking Oil to it. After few seconds add a Bay Leaf to it. Wait for few seconds and then add onion, garlic & ginger, celery, and carrots. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Place the lid and close it with SAFETY VALVE to SEALING. Press PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL MODE and set it t0 High for 25 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, follow NPR (natural pressure release). Meanwhile, Prepare the slurry with corn starch and milk. Mix well with a Small Kitchen Whisk.
- Open the lid and add this slurry to it. Cook on saute mode for 5 more minutes till it thickens slightly. Add chopped kale and let sit for few minutes. Hot Wild Rice Soup is ready in IP. Serve it with some crusty bread.
Stove Top Instructions
- You can make it on the stovetop easily. Make it in a heavy bottom saucepan. Follow the steps as mentioned above. The broth quantity will be doubled for stovetop. Bring it to a boil and then cook it on low heat till rice is cooked well.
- It refrigerates well for a week.
- If it thickens while refrigerated, warm it up with more vegetable stock/water. Adjust salt & pepper.
- You can make it VEGAN by substituting regular milk with Plant-based milk.
- To make it more creamy, you may add heavy cream to it.
- To make it lighter, you can skip the corn starch slurry.
I am sure you will be making it soon. Please leave your feedback under the comments section when you try it.
A friend made this for us a couple weeks ago when we visited. It was so good, I asked for the recipe. I made it last night. Wish I’d seen the comment that the full recipe should fit in a 3 qt pot. I will try that next time. I cut it in half. A couple things if you do that. 1. The slurry makes it more thick that we liked, so if I do that again, I might make an even smaller slurry. Less Corn Starch. 2. The rice didn’t get soft enough for my husband, so I think next time I will soak it even longer (It must have been an hour this time. I might soak it starting in the morning). I used wild rice and black rice combined.
I also noticed that though thyme is mentioned in the comments, there is no measurement for thyme in the recipe itself. I used 1/4 tsp in the 1/2 recipe. Overall, I will add more spices next time. It might be better for our taste buds with the full recipe. We had enough for a dinner for two. We didn’t go all vegan, though. We also had sausage on the side! :- Definitely a keeper!
I only review recipes I actually make. This one is a keeper. Here are my Notes: If you are oil-free, skip the sauté step and just throw it all in the pressure cooker. Sauté rice with Bay Leaf, onion, & ginger, celery, and carrots. I did not have fresh ginger so I used Gourmet Garden’s organic lightly dried ginger (available at Walmart produce section, love that product!) Do not finely chop or mince any of the veggies for the best consistency. Keep them all bite size. This soup/stew refrigerates well for a week. If it thickens while refrigerated, warm it up with more vegetable stock/water. Adjust salt & pepper. To make it creamier, you may add canned coconut cream to it. To make it lighter, you can skip the corn starch slurry. We fixed this February 2021 and it was EXCELLENT, although it was much more of a stew consistency than a soup. One of the best vegan meals we’ve had yet. We gave it a 5 star rating.
Thank you so much Kim and I appreciate your inputs.
You are awesome.
How long does the rice need to soak in water before adding to the pot?
About 20 minutes
Before before I make this soup, I have a question. I realize wild rice takes longer to cook, and it says to cut the veggies into large chunks, but I worry that the 25 minute plus NPR will make the veggies mushy. I appreciate hearing from those who have made this recipe using the times shown. Thanks!
Camille – emailed you 🙂
If possible, please share the answer to this question.
Hi Sue – the vegetables will be soft in texture. It’s more like a stew than a soup. If you prefer to keep the vegetables on the crunch side then I will suggest you to cook the wild rice separately and then add later after the vegetables are cooked! In that case vegeyneed only 5 minutes of cooking in IP! Open the lid. Add cooked rice. Stir and serve!
Will this recipe for in a 3 qt IP?
Julie it should. A mini 3 quart can cook 2 quart of food that is 8 cups.
This is the perfect, most delicious soup for a cold and brutal day! I love the texture that the wild rice gives the soup.
This is what I NEED now that the weather is getting colder, plus I love instant pot recipes!
Looks like a hearty and comforting soup, perfect for the cold weather we’re having!
This soup sounds perfect for chilly winter nights!
This soup looks perfect for the colder days ahead! Love the mix of vegetables in this.