This Easy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup warms you up from inside out and is so comforting. I ate it with home-made yummy Bread. Though it is a VEGETARIAN WILD RICE SOUP recipe, you can completely make it a VEGAN WILD RICE SOUP with a minor change.
Important – Please scroll down to the end of the post for the COMPLETE RECIPE. It is given in a recipe card. In between, you will find tips & more info about the recipe.
Delicious & Easy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe
I had tried this soup at a friend’s place some time ago. The texture, the taste & the creaminess of this soup left me speechless. Since then it has become my new soup love.
Have I told you that I love soups? And I can have it for any meal. The Vegetable Soups are really filling, nutritious and full of flavors. A bog bowl of it can make you feel content. I often combine my soups with a home-made loaf of bread.
Finally, I gathered the ingredients and set my Instant Pot to work. And boy am I glad that I made it in the Instant Pot. The mushrooms and little kale added so much more flavor to the soup. Also, this is a lighter version of the regular WILD RICE SOUP. Isn’t it a win-win? FIGURE FRIENDLY, WEIGHT FRIENDLY, LIGHT, NUTRITIOUS & of course DELICIOUS.
It is a very simple and easy recipe that doesn’t require advanced cooking skills. You are going to use only 2 MODES in IP to make this –
- SAUTE MODE
- PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL MODE
What are the Ingredients of Wild Rice Soup?
Important – We use amazon affiliate links to suggest appropriate ingredients and gadgets used in a recipe.
Now I believe in adaptations and personalizing the recipes.
You might feel that there are too many ingredients in this recipe. But the fact is that you have the choice to use them all or pick and choose what you want. The only advice is not to compromise on the few spices used in the recipe.
- Wild Rice Mix – I used a plain mix of wild rice. You may use any variety that you like. There are Wild Rice blends with herb mixes. Also, you may choose just Wild Rice and not a mix. The cooking time should remain the same.
- Vegetable Broth, Low Sodium
- Milk – You may use plant-based milk to make it Vegan. Almond Milk or Coconut Milk might work well.
- Corn Starch – This makes the recipe for GLUTENFREE WILD RICE SOUP in IP. If you do not have cornstarch then you may use all-purpose flour as a substitute.
- Cooking Oil or Olive Oil
- Spices – Bay Leaf, Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Turmeric, Salt & Black Pepper. Turmeric is optional. Since it gives a beautiful color and is healing in properties, I add it to many of my soups.
- Fresh Produce – Onion, Garlic, Ginger (optional), Celery, Carrots, Zucchini, Potato, Baby Portobello Mushrooms, Kale. Again, Ginger is optional. I add it to many of my soups in winter because of its digestive and warm properties.
Kitchen Gadgets Used to make this Creamy vegetable & Rice Mix Soup
- Instant Pot 6 quart or MEALTHY MULTIPOT
- Chopping board and Knife
- Kitchen Colander
- Mixing Bowls
- Stirring Spoon
- Small Kitchen Whisk
How to make Wild Rice Soup in Instant Pot?
COMPLETE RECIPE with adequate measurements is given further down below in a RECIPE CARD for print and save purpose too.
Gather all the ingredients.
Wash & Soak the Wild Rice Mix till ready to use. Meanwhile, work on the vegetables.
Wash all the vegetables in a Kitchen Colander and set aside.
Chopping the Vegetables – It is an important step. Make sure that you chop big pieces of the vegetables. Since wild rice takes a longer time to cook, chunkier pieces of vegetables will retain their shape during the time. Peel the onion and potato. The onion needs to be chopped fine.
Insert the inner pot inside the Instant Pot and plug it in. Press SAUTE MODE and set it on HIGH. Once the screen displays HOT, add Cooking Oil to it. After few seconds add a Bay Leaf to it. Wait for few seconds and then add onion, garlic & ginger, celery, and carrots. Saute for 2 minutes.
Place the lid and close it with SAFETY VALVE to SEALING. Press PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL MODE and set it t0 High for 25 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, follow NPR. Meanwhile, Prepare the slurry with corn starch and milk. Mix well with a Small Kitchen Whisk.
Open the lid and add this slurry to it. Cook on saute mode for 5 more minutes till it thickens slightly. Add chopped kale and let sit for few minutes.
Hot Wild Rice Soup is ready in IP. Serve it with some crusty bread.
Instant Pot Desserts in Mini Jars
Instant Pot Vegetarian Soups
Easy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe
Easy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe - Creamy & Lighter
- Instant Pot 6 quart or Mealthy Multipot
- Measuring Spoons, Measuring Cups, Stirring Spoon,
- Kitchen Colander
- Chopping board and knife
- 1 cup Wild Rice Mix
- 1 pack/32 ounce or 4 cups Vegetable Stock Low Sodium
- 1 cup Milk use plant-based milk for vegan option
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup White Onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 small piece Ginger (optional) finely chopped
- 2 stalks Celery cut into chunky pieces
- 2 medium Carrots cut into chunky pieces
- 1 small Zucchini cut into chunky pieces
- 1 large Potato, yellow cut into chunky pieces
- 10 Baby Portobella Mushrooms quartered or thickly sliced
- 1 cup Kale chopped
Oil & Spices
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil or Olive Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary, dry
- 1/2 tsp Oregano, dry
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder. optional
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika, optional to add slight kick
- Chopping the Vegetables - It is an important step. Make sure that you chop big pieces of the vegetables. Since wild rice takes a longer time to cook, chunkier pieces of vegetables will retain their shape during the time.
- Place the lid and close it with SAFETY VALVE to SEALING. Press PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL MODE and set it t0 High for 25 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, follow NPR (natural pressure release). Meanwhile, Prepare the slurry with corn starch and milk. Mix well with a Small Kitchen Whisk.
- Open the lid and add this slurry to it. Cook on saute mode for 5 more minutes till it thickens slightly. Add chopped kale and let sit for few minutes. Hot Wild Rice Soup is ready in IP. Serve it with some crusty bread.
Stove Top Instructions
- You can make it on the stovetop easily. Make it in a heavy bottom saucepan. Follow the steps as mentioned above. The broth quantity will be doubled for stovetop. Bring it to a boil and then cook it on low heat till rice is cooked well.
- It refrigerates well for a week.
- If it thickens while refrigerated, warm it up with more vegetable stock/water. Adjust salt & pepper.
- You can make it VEGAN by substituting regular milk with Plant-based milk.
- To make it more creamy, you may add heavy cream to it.
- To make it lighter, you can skip the corn starch slurry.
I am sure you will be making it soon. Please leave your feedback under the comments section when you try it.