These Instant Pot Baby Potatoes are so easy to make, almost dump and go. It is one of those basic recipes to know by heart. I first “boiled” them in the Instant Pot and then made Fiesta Potatoes in the magic machine.
Important – Complete Recipe is given at the bottom of the post in a RECIPE CARD. Scroll down towards the end for the same. In between, there is important information about the recipe and some tips.
How to make Instant Pot Baby Potatoes?
Now we all know that steaming or cooking potatoes is no rocket science. Every household makes potatoes all around the world. While I write this, I bet there are people already making some now.
Since the use of potatoes is so versatile, I always keep a stash of steamed potatoes in my refrigerator. Makes my life easier on busy days.
Can I cook any kind of potatoes in Instant Pot?
The size of the potato can affect the time of cooking in IP, but yes you can do it. My choice of potatoes is Yukon Gold for larger potatoes. Though I have cooked Russett also in IP and they come out great too.
Why should I cook Baby Potatoes in Instant Pot?
I love cooking these in IP. The reasons are simple –
- Mess-Free Cooking. I use steamer basket to boil/steam/cook these potatoes. They get cooked as well as they come out dry.
- It is a dump and cook recipe. Yes, it is that simple. Just place in IP. Press the button and forget.
- Once these are steamed/cooked, these can be further seasoned to your liking. I have seasoned them with Fiesta Fajita Seasoning.
What kind of Steamer Basket to steam Baby Potatoes?
I used the one that came with the accessories set.
If you are looking to buy it separately then here are a few options.
How to Cook Baby Potatoes in Instant Pot?
Cooking Baby Potatoes in Instant Pot is like 1-2-3. Yes, it is that easy. And this is how you do it.
- Wash the baby potatoes thoroughly and remove any dirt on top. Place these babies inside the steamer basket.
- Take your IP and place the inner pot inside. Plug it in.
- Pour 1 cup of water inside the inner pot. If you are using the steamer that I have used, then place the short trivet inside. And if you are using the steamer basket that already has the legs, then skip the trivet.
- Place the steamer basket inside the inner pot. Close the lid and set the valve to SEALING.
- Press the Manual/Pressure Cooker Mode and set it on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- As the timer goes off, follow NPR (natural pressure release).
- Once the safety valve drops down, open the lid and take the steamer basket out.
What I like about this method is that the potatoes get steamed and still are not drenched in the water. Easier to peel or season right away.
Steamed Baby Potato Recipe Ideas
Once you have the steamed baby potatoes ready, there are endless possibilities. I am stating some recipe ideas below-
- Italian Herbed Baby Potatoes
- Rosemary & Lemon Baby Potatoes
- Indian Curry Spices Baby Potatoes
- Jerk Seasoning Baby Potatoes
- Simple Salt & Pepper Baby Potatoes
- Ranch Seasoned Baby Potatoes
- Garlic Butter Baby Potatoes
- Tex Mex Style Fajita Baby Potatoes – find the recipe below in the recipe card.
Ingredients Used in Fiesta Baby Potatoes Recipe
SIMPLYVEGETARIAN777 INSTANT POT CAKES
SIMPLYVEGETARIAN777 INSTANT POT BREAD
SIMPLYVEGETARIAN777 VEGAN BEANS RECIPES
Instant Pot Baby Potatoes – Fajita Potatoes Recipe
The easiest way to steam the baby potatoes in Instant Pot. Later seasoned with fajita seasoning, this is perfect one-pot recipe that is good as a snack or the side at the dinner table.
- 24 ounce or 1&1/2 pounds Baby Potatoes (medley or golden)
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp Fajita Seasoning or choose the seasoning of choice
Wash the baby potatoes thoroughly and remove any dirt on top. Place these babies inside the steamer basket.
Place the steamer basket inside the inner pot. Close the lid and set the valve to SEALING. Press the Manual/Pressure Cooker Mode and set it on HIGH for 5 minutes. As the timer goes off, follow NPR (natural pressure release). Once the safety valve drops down, open the lid and take the steamer basket out.
Instant Pot Baby Potatoes are ready.
Take the steamer basket out. Set it aside. Throw out any remaining water inside the inner pot. Dry it with a kitchen towel. Set it back inside the Instant Pot. Plug it back in.
Press the Saute Button and set it on High for 10 minutes. Once the screen displays HOT, add oil to it. After a few seconds, add salt and fajita seasoning. Stir and then add steamed baby potatoes. Coat them well with the spice mix. Crisp them on the saute mode for about 5 minutes. Stir in between.
Squeeze some lime juice on top and serve these hot.
- You can make these in advance and heat in the mircowave for later.
- Also you can crisp these in the oven at 400*F till the required crispness.
- You can use any spice mix to season these. If you do not have fajita seasoning, you may use cajun or taco seasoning.
I am sure you are going to try this recipe soon. Please leave your feedback and rate the recipe when you try it. Feel free to ask any questions in the comments section.