Instant Pot Vegan Beef Stew
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Vegan Beef Stew is a vegan version of Classic American Beef Stew. It is delicious, comforting and perfect for the fall season. Even meat-eaters would love it.
Delicious & Comforting Instant Pot Vegan Beef Stew
You must be thinking that if this stew is Vegan then why to call it the Beef Stew. It is a valid thought.
American Beef Stew is a classic recipe and is loved all over America.
Honestly, I struggled a lot with this thought too. But then came to the conclusion that Vegan Beef Stew is the perfect title for this recipe.
Since many people are transitioning from their Meat Eating Regime to the Vegan Life-Style, they are looking for similar taste profiles they are used to. And this particular stew definitely belongs to that “hard to break habit” category.
Therefore, there is more need for such Mock Meat Recipes (IMHO) that can help them with the transition. In between, these transitioning communities are getting used to the new flavor profiles as well. So, a great hurrah for that.
As a Vegetarian and moderately Vegan, it is easier for me to be an adventurous eater. But I have realized that my newly transitioning friends are struggling. Therefore, this is a post and recipe to those of my readers and friends.
Also, this is a perfect recipe to slurp on Meatless Mondays.
It is such an Easy Vegan Stew Recipe. Not only that, it is a super comforting stew. My moderately carnivore family loved it as well.
I served it as an After School Meal to my girls and they licked the bowl clean.
What is a Vegan?
In a layman’s language, Vegan can be a diet or the person who follows this kind of diet.
A Vegan person does not eat any ingredient that comes from the animals. Milk & the Milk Products, Meat, Eggs are not consumed in this kind of diet. A vegan does not believe in consuming any product like clothes, makeup, shoes, bags etc that is made by killing an animal.
Ingredients to make Vegan Beef Stew in Instant Pot
simplyvegetarian777 uses Amazon affiliate links for suggesting the products and ingredients. If you make a purchase through our links, it will not cost you anything extra. We recommend the good quality and reasonably priced products.
This recipe uses fairly easily available ingredients. We need –
- Meatless Beef Tips – There are many companies like Gardein, Quorn, Boca, Morning Star that have meatless products.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes – Russet potatoes can be used as well
- Frozen Peas
- Vegetable Stock/ Broth – I normally have 3 to 4 of these in stock at home. It comes very handy. No need to add salt later.
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Soy Sauce – to add that umami flavor that comes with using original
- All-Purpose Flour
- Thyme, dry
- Bay Leaf, dry
- Black Pepper
I have used following Kitchen Gadgets to make this Vegan Beef Stew
- I made it in my 6 quarts 9-in-1 Duo Instant Pot. You may make it in 3 quarts Instant Pot too.
- An Instant Pot Glass Lid or any covering lid is needed.
- A stirring Spoon/Ladle is needed.
- Chopping board and Knife
- Stew Serving Bowls
Substitutes to replace Vegan Beef in the Recipe
Vegan Beef tastes very different from any of the real vegetarian or vegan ingredient. But it still is Vegan since either it is made with Soy protein or Gluten or some kind of Fungi.
If you are raised or have been a vegetarian or vegan for a while, then you may totally skip the Vegan Beef in the recipe. Here are a few ways you can substitute it in the recipe –
- Use Portobello mushrooms cut into big chunks and treated as vegan beef in the recipe.
- You may use Seitan Strips and treat the same.
- Or just skip it completely. It will still taste amazing.
My kids actually said that this stew tastes like Chicken Pot Pie. So, you may now create another recipe with this recipe. Cook it thicker and bake with vegan pie crust to make Vegan Pot Pies. Double Yay for that.
Stove Top Vegan Beef Stew
If you can make it in an Instant Pot, then you can easily make it on the Stove Top or Gas Top.
Just follow the instructions from Instant Pot Recipe and adjust the broth/water quantity. There you have Stove Top Vegan Beef Stew.
Instant Pot Vegetarian and Vegan Stews from simplyvegetarian777
Some Vegan Soups and Stews from my blog are –
Save 10.0% on select products from Master Tailgaters with promo code 10MYEXZS, through 11/18 while supplies last.
Tuscan Vegetable Soup, Corn Chowder, Asian Sweet Corn Soup, Red Beans Curry, Detox Lentil Vegetable Soup, Mexican Vegan Beans and many more.
Check out this small video showing how to make Vegan Beef Stew in Instant Pot.
Recipe to make Instant Pot Vegan Beef Stew
Read the whole post for other Tips and Information.
Instant Pot Vegan Beef Stew
- 2 cups Meatless Beef Tips or the substitute
- 2 large Potatoes, Yukon Gold may use russet potato
- 2 Carrots cut into chunky pieces
- 2 Celery Stalks cut into chunky pieces
- 1 large White Onion cut into chunky pieces
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Green Peas frozen
- 1 pack or 32 ounce /1 liter Vegetable Stock I use regular and then do not add salt
- 4 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Water
Oil & Spices
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil, divided into 1/2+!/2
- 2 Bay Leaf dry
- 1 tsp Thyme dry
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
Preparing Meatless Beef Strips in Instant Pot
- Take a large bowl with a lid or a large ziplock. Add 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour to it. Now add the meatless beef strips to it. Toss the strips with flour till these are coated with the flour. Set aside.
- Place the inner pot inside the Instant Pot and plug it in. Press SAUTE MODE and set on High for 10 minutes. Once the screen displays HOT, add oil to the pot. Wait for 2-3 seconds and then add the meatless beef strips to the pot. Lightly saute them in the hot oil for about 5 minutes. Cover with a lid for few minutes. Then saute more. They should be slightly cooked. If required, do it in batches.
- Once these are done, take these out of the Instant Pot and set aside. Now add the red wine vinegar and deglaze the inner pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a spatula. Cancel the Saute Mode.
Cooking the Vegan Beef Stew on Meat/Stew Mode
- Now add Garlic + Onions. Give a good stir. Add Carrots + Potatoes + Celery to the pot. Stir again. Now add Bay Leaf + Thyme + Black Pepper to the pot. Stir and add the sauteed Meatless Beef Strips to the pot.
- Pour the whole pack of Vegetable Broth/stock + Soy sauce to the pot. Stir again.
- Close the lid of the instant pot. Place the floating valve on SEALING. Press the MEAT/STEW MODE and set on high for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the remaining 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour in 1/2 cup of water. Set aside.
- Once the beeper goes off and the security valve drops down, open the lid carefully. Add the dissolved all-purpose flour. Cancel the KEEP WARM Button.
- Now press SAUTE MODE and add the frozen green peas. Let the stew come to simmer and let simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust salt and black pepper as per taste. This stew will thicken with time.
- Serve it hot when ready.
I am sure you will be trying this recipe soon. Please do leave your feedback in the comments section when you try it.
Can’t make it now? Pin Instant Pot Vegan Beef Stew for Later.
Save 20.0% on select products from CHULUX with promo code 20QYWWZP, through 11/10 while supplies last.
In my Kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY.
This looks like the perfect thing to make on a cold winter’s night, adding it to the list to try!
We are all about the stews at this time of year and this looks so comforting. A great vegan option too.
This vegan stew looks amazing! The perfect fall and winter food! 🙂
A delicious hot soup in the cold autumn weather sounds perfect for me. This is so delicious and it makes my mouth watering. Great recipe. I like all the ingredients in it.
What a great idea! I love stew and this vegan version would go down a treat with all of my vegetarian and vegan friends!
Thank you So much Cliona. I am glad that you liked it.
The prep and cook times are not realistic because they don’t include the time for the ‘saute’ function to indicate ‘hot’ (up to 10 minutes), the time for the Meat/Stew setting to get up to temperature to start cooking (maybe 10 minutes) nor the time for a “natural” pressure release (25-30 minutes), and the time for another saute function to start the simmering process (a couple of minutes).
The potatoes in my batch were way too mushy soft so I would recommended a ‘fast’ pressure release rather than a ‘natural’ pressure release or perhaps reducing the cooking time down from 8 minutes..
Otherwise, it turned out good.
First of all, thank you for trying the recipe. I am glad that despite of all the time confusion, it worked for you.
1. Whenever you will go to any instant pot recipe, it is given as understood that the saute time + natural pressure release time + Pressure cook time is the actual cooking time and not the time it takes to come to those functions.
2. Whenever a person who is using an Instant Pot, he/she is supposed to know that this is how it works. If I will start writing those times in account, the recipe will seem to never finish cooking. Moreover, the natural pressure release takes about 16-18 minutes to release the pressure completely.
3. You may certainly do the quick release. I didn’t since my potato chunks were bigger and my kids like their potatoes mushier.
Having said that, all the recipes can be adapted. If you really liked the recipe, then probably you may adapt the timing and pressure release to your needs.
Thank you. 🙂