This Penne Pomodoro Easy Recipe is for the keeps. If you are a pasta fan and like to make fresh sauces at home, this is your recipe. Since it has few ingredients, it is quick to put together.
Instant Pot Penne Pomodoro Recipe Details are given in the post too.
Important – Please SCROLL DOWN towards the end for COMPLETE RECIPE. In between there is more information about the RECIPE.
Penne Pomodoro Easy Recipe
Tomato = Pomodoro
Are you wondering what is Pomodoro? Pomodoro means Tomato in Italian. It’s that simple.
The dish is actually called Pasta Al Pomodoro. It is a very light dish which has olive oil, tomatoes, basil and pasta.
I find it really enchanting for my palate since it is trimmed off of any heavy cream. The sweet tomatoes cooked in olive oil, slightly hinted with garlic and basil leaves, a bit of salt and black pepper, creates a magical experience. Clean and crisp taste of this light Pomodoro sauce is quite intoxicating.
How to make Penne Pomodoro efficiently?
Pasta Pomodoro is a super hit meal in my house. While the pasta is on rolling boil, the tomatoes are sauteed and simmered into sauce, a chunky sauce. My girls and Amit love it. For a change, I enjoy my pasta whenever I make Pomodoro.
This pasta dish is so quick to put together that it can make your any busy weeknight, a super hit. You can accomplish Pasta Pomodoro in under 30 minutes and do not blame me later if you over eat it. It is perfect to pack for lunch boxes as well or prepare it when you are entertaining guests. The casual and rustic appeal of the pasta creates a relaxed ambience.
Kitchen Gadgets Needed to make this Penne Pomodoro
Ingredients to make Penne Pomodoro
Some Vegetarian Pasta Recipes from Simplyvegetarian777 are
Pasta Primavera , Spaghetti in mushroom sauce , Summer Pasta Salad , Bow Tie in Focaccia Sauce , Pasta in Arabiatta Sauce , Baked Pasta with Mushroom & Spinach in light white sauce , Garlic & Basil Marinara Sauce and many more.
One can add the herbs of their choice to this sauce like basil, thyme, rosemary, sage etc but basil adds to the charm of the dish.
Few notes to make Penne Pomodoro
- Pasta needs to be cooked al-dente, which means it is required to be cooked till the point that it is still slightly firm to the bite and not soft and mushy. Do not over boil the pasta. Boil it as per the instructions given at the back of the pasta packet.
- You may use any kind of pasta like penne, spaghetti, linguini, bow-tie etc.
- Reserve a cup of pasta water after it is boiled and ready to drain. This acts as a good thickener for pasta sauces.
- I have used cherry tomatoes, but you can use any kind of tomatoes including roma, tomatoes on the vine, heirloom. Make sure that the tomatoes are juicy.
- The pomodoro sauce does not require long hours of cooking. It is the fastest thing ever to put together in Italian cuisine.
Lets us get to cooking now.
How to make Penne Pomodoro in Instant Pot?
Since most of the pasta recipes are easily done in Instant Pot, this recipe is easily attainable in Instant Pot as well.
Here is how you make Instant Pot Penne Pomodoro Easy Recipe –
- Place Inner pot inside the Instant Pot. Plug it in.
- Press Saute Button and set on High. When it displays HOT, add olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and spices to it. Saute for 2-3 minutes till tomatoes become soft.
- Make sure to deglaze or scrape the bottom of the pot before you add pasta to avoid any BURN WARNING.
- Now add uncooked 1 pound/box Penne Pasta. Give it a good stir. Add enough water till pasta is just enough submerged/drowned in water.
- Place the Lid and lock. Set the valve to SEALING.
- If the box instructions say to cook pasta for 12 minutes, then cook the pasta in Instant Pot for 6 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE/MANUAL Mode. Then follow QPR.
- Add fresh basil leaves, adjust salt if needed, stir in some parmesan cheese. Serve Instant Pot Penne Pomodoro Hot.
- If you see any liquid, do not worry. The pasta will soak it up fast.
Easy Penne Pomodoro Recipe
Easy Penne Pomodoro Recipe
- 4 cups Penne pasta cooked al dante
- 1 cup Pasta Water reserved from boiled pasta
- 2 lbs or 900 grams Cherry Tomatoes washed & halved
- 4 cloves Garlic minced fine
- 10 Basil Leaves
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Boil the pasta al dante as mentioned at the back of package in instructions. Meanwhile. work on the Pomodoro Sauce so that both the elements of the dish are done at the same time.
Preparing Pomodoro Sauce
- Take a heavy bottom pan and heat olive oil in it. Add minced garlic to it and saute it lightly on low heat.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes, sugar, salt, black pepper & basil leaves to the pan. Bring the heat of the pan back to medium. Stir the ingredients well with a spatula.
- Cover the pan with the lid or else the tomatoes will splutter.
- Cook for about 10-12 minutes till tomatoes are softer and cooked. Stir Occasionally.
- Add pasta water and stir again. Cover & cook for 5 more minutes. Switch off the gas.
Putting Penne Pomodoro together.
- Add the boiled Penne to the Pomodoro sauce and toss well.
- Add cheese and garnish further with few basil leaves.
- Serve it Hot.
Instant Pot Penne Pomodoro Recipe
- Place Inner pot inside the Instant Pot. Plug it in. Press Saute Button and set on High. When it displays HOT, add olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and spices to it.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes till tomatoes become soft. Make sure to deglaze or scrape the bottom of the pot before you add pasta to avoid any BURN WARNING.
- Now add uncooked 1 pound/box Penne Pasta. Give it a good stir. Add enough water till pasta is just enough submerged/drowned in water. Place the Lid and lock. Set the valve to SEALING.
- If the box instructions say to cook pasta for 12 minutes, then cook the pasta in Instant Pot for 6 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE/MANUAL Mode. Then follow QPR (quick pressure release).
- Add fresh basil leaves, adjust salt if needed, stir in some parmesan cheese. Serve Instant Pot Penne Pomodoro Hot. If you see any liquid, do not worry. The pasta will soak it up fast.
Isn’t this a neat recipe to make and comfort yourself? Honestly, I over fed myself on this yesterday, when I made it for the dinner after a busy evening of running around with the kids. The warm and comforting pasta was over eaten not only by me but by the other 3 members also.
Are you making it tomorrow or today? Do leave your feedback if you do! 🙂
Pin this PENNE POMODORO RECIPE for Later.
Eat Happy & Stay Happy!