Salsa Verde Instant Pot Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salsa Verde Instant Pot Recipe is a finger-licking Mexican Sauce made with simplest ingredients. It is super easy to make in Instant Pot and is full of blasting flavors. IIt goes great with Nachos, Burritos, Fajitas, Tex Mex Bowls and more.
Spicy & Hot Salsa Verde Instant Pot Recipe
Any Tex Mex food enthusiasts in the house here? Raise your hands. My house is full of Tex Mex food Buffs. We infuse our weekly meals with Mexican flavors every now and then. Yep, that’s true. Nacho chips with Salsa, Sour Cream, Guacamole and Pico de Gallo are a regular scene on the snack counter. Kids eat these in heaps. I do not have to worry much about feeding them in between meals.
I make complete Mexican meals often for dinners like these Vegetables Fajitas, Quesadillas, Vegetarian Cantina Bowl and restaurant style Salsa. But never got to try making Salsa Verde at home. For that matter, I never got to try Salsa Verde much. I have observed that not even restaurants offer it much. The only kind of Salsa Verde you find is the bottled one in jars on the grocery store shelves.
When I recently tried it, I was bowled over by the big bold flavors of this sauce. It was hot and kicked at the right spot. The color of the sauce was so bright and warm. It was just amazing. I had to make it at home.
Can I add something for my Indian Readers? It is a delicious version of Green Tomato Chutney. Yes, it is Hare Tamatar ki Chutney. 😀
What is Salsa Verde?
Salsa Verde is Green Sauce in layman’s language. Verde means Green in Spanish. This sauce is of Mexican origin. The main ingredients of this sauce are Tomatillos and Chili Peppers like jalapeno and serrano peppers. Tomatillo is a Mexican Husk Tomato. Serrano and Jalapeno are common green chilies used in Mexican cuisine.
So, Salsa Verde is a Spicy Mexican Green Sauce made with Tomatillos and Hot Peppers.
There are 3 versions of Salsa Verde –
- Cooked Salsa Verde – The ingredients are first cooked down and then blended in a blender to make the sauce.
- Roasted Version – In this method, ingredients are first roasted or grilled and then blended.
- Raw Verde – Ingredients are kept raw and blended as is in this method.
Why did I make Salsa Verde Instant Pot Version?
Before you ask me that question, I would ask you back, WHY NOT? This is the Instant Pot Era. Here are my top reasons to make Salsa Verde in Instant Pot.
- It is a simple and quick process in Instant Pot. Just 1 button, few minutes and the cooking part is done.
- Making Salsa Verde in Instant Pot is completely a MESS FREE process.
- It is so safe to use that I could instruct my teenage daughter to keep a watch on it, without the fear of getting burnt. Instant Pot is COMPLETELY SAFE.
- It is the most EFFICIENT kind of cooking that I have experienced so far. Hence if I can cook curry in it, then why not my sauces.
THESE ARE THE 2 TYPES OF INSTANT POTS THAT I RECOMMEND TO PURCHASE.
- Instant Pot LUX Duo 3 quarts 6-in-1 if you do not want to make yogurt at home. It is the cheapest model and works as well as Mini Duo 3 quarts 7-in-1. The 7-in-1 has yogurt setting added.
- Instant Pot Duo Plus 6 quarts 9-in-1. I am not sure why it is 9-in-1 since it has 14 functions that you can use for cooking including baking. Amazing, right?
I have both the models and use them regularly. My stove top cooking has become minimal. I use my 3 quarts Instant Pot more often for my daily cooking of Instant Pot Vegetarian and Instant Pot Vegan Curries and other Recipes. For this recipe also, I used 3 quarts Instant Pot. You may use your 6 quart also.
Is this Salsa Verde Vegan?
Yes, absolutely. This sauce is 100% Vegan. All the ingredients used are fresh produce. Not only it is Vegan, Home-Made version of this sauce is free of any preservatives, additives or colors. Salsa Verde is GLUTENFREE as well.
Can I make Salsa Verde in a regular stove top pot, if I do not have Instant Pot?
100% yes. You can easily make this Salsa Verde on the stove top if you do not have Instant Pot.
What can I use to replace Tomatillos in this recipe?
I would say go with Green Tomatoes. Or even regular Red Tomatoes. If you use red tomatoes then it will be Salsa Rosa and not Salsa Verde. 😉
Here are some popular Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes from my blog –
Red Thai Curry, Tuscan soup, Punjabi rajma / Red Beans Curry, Saag Aloo, Pav Bhaji and more.
Check this small VIDEO on how to make SALSA VERDE in INSTANT POT.
This is how you make this Salsa Verde in Instant Pot.
Salsa Verde Instant Pot Recipe
- 10 oz/ 280 - 300 grams Tomatillos
- 2 Jalapenos use 1 in case you do not want too spicy
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- To taste / 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp or to taste Juice of Lime Use Lemon in case you can not find Lime
- 1/2 cup Cilantro / Coriander Leaves
Refer to the Video above the recipe card for better understanding.
Cooking on SAUTE MODE in Instant Pot
- Place inner pot inside the Instant Pot. Plug it in. Press the SAUTE button and adjust it to MORE.
- Once the screen displays HOT, add oil to the inner pot. Wait for 2 seconds and then add chopped tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic together to the hot oil. Give it a good stir. Cook for 3 minutes till tomatillos are soft.
- Add 1 tbsp water to the inner pot. Place the lid with the floating valve at VENTING. Keep it closed for 2 minutes.
- Cancel the saute mode. Plug off the IP. Take out the cooked ingredients from IP. Let them cool down a bit.
Blending to make SALSA VERDE
- Take a high-speed blender. I used my MAGIC BULLET. Just love it. Bought my 2nd Magic Bullet after my 1st one gave up after 7 years of good use.
- Add the cooked ingredients, cilantro leaves, salt and lime juice to the blender.
- Blend till you get a smooth sauce.
- Your Salsa Verde is ready. Once completely cooled down. Store it in airtight glass jar and store in the refrigerator. It is good for 1 week at least.
Suggestions to Use Salsa Verde in Recipes and Meals
- It is perfect to be served as a dipping sauce with your chips/nachos or even papadoms.
- Salsa Verde is super awesome alongside your burritos, tacos, enchiladas.
- You can use it as a baking sauce to make Verde/Green Enchiladas.
- It goes so well as a side chutney along with Indian Meals. I am eating it daily with my food.
- Spread it on your toast and make a yummy sandwich.
Stove Top Cooking Method
- In case you do not have an instant pot or if your instant pot is busy, then you can make it on stove top also. Take a pan. Heat oil in it. Add chopped ingredients. Saute for 2 minutes. Add little water and cover + cook for 2 more minutes. Switch off the stove top. Cool the pan ingredients for 10 minutes. Then add the pan ingredients, cilantro, salt and lime juice to a blender and blend to a smooth sauce. STOVE TOP SALSA VERDE is ready.
If you try it, then do give a shout out on our social media – FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and TWITTER.
Can’t make it today/ PIN SALSA VERDE INSTANT POT RECIPE FOR LATER!
In my Kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY!
Thank you for creating salsa verde in the instant pot! I bought two on Prime Day!
I have one question: Where I live, I could only find fresh tomatillos, and I’m seeing mixed suggestions online about how to convert to canned.
How many ounces of fresh tomatillos do you suggest could be substituted for the canned amount?
Hi Debbie – my apologies for a late reply. Honestly I have no idea. May be start with 2 and.
Pure genius! Another great way to use my instant pot!
Salsa verde is a favorite in this house, but I’ve never made my own! I’m inspired now, and I’m all about Instant Pot recipes! This looks fab!
You will love it Kristine. I have included stove top instructions as well.
I’ve only had raw salsa verde, so this totally caught my eye. it looks so delicious! I love that you used the IP – it’s so darn hot, so I will use the instant pot every chance I get.
Instant pot has taken over my kitchen. I barely use my stove top now. I use it for every darn single thing now
This is such a great idea for the instant pot! I’m going to try this!
You will love it
I LOVE salsa verde, but haven’t been able to invest in an instant pot yet! this looks fab!
It’s so much more the money you spent on an IP, Georgie… you will love it. Keep a watch when it goes on sale 🙂
I really need to get an instant pot there are so many great recipes!
You will love your Instant pot Tisha
I love my Instant Pot, and this recipe looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it when I get tomatillos in my farm share. Pinning!
Thank you sooo much Annemarie
Your salsa is so bright and beautiful! I LOVE salsa verde. One of my favs!!
I think I Love it more too
Sounds like a delicious and wonderful sauce! I love the bright, green color too…sounds so good!
Thanks Catherine. I am glad you liked it
This recipe looks so delicious and I love that you can make it in the instant pot! It makes me want to grow tomatillos next year in my garden!
Yay to that Emily. Nothing better than fresh produce from your own garden
Salsa verde is my favorite kind of salsa! If given the choice between red or green salsa, I always go with green. I will definitely be making this in my Instant Pot! Like you, my stove top gets very little action lately!
I love my IP..and I am a hater convert lover of this gadget..
Given a choice, I will go for Verde too than the Rosa!