Instant Idli Instant Pot Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Idli Instant Pot Recipe is made with just 3 ingredients and no prep is needed. It takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish to make this recipe. Instant Idli is so easy, light and quick to make that you will make it often.
Scroll down towards the end for the complete recipe. In between, there are important tips and more information re Instant Idli Instant Pot Recipe.
Easy & Fool Proof Instant Idli Instant Pot Recipe
This is one recipe that is super close to my heart. I remember indulging on an endless number of Idlis while growing up. Mum would steam them in the cooker, lot after lot. And there were never enough of these.
We never had the leftovers for idli. This Instant Idli was always a handy recipe. At times, the batter would get over in the middle of everyone eating and demanding for more. Mom would mix and whisk more of the batter instantly and the steaming hot Idli were ready.
Now I do the same for my kids. I have no patience for soaking, grinding, and fermenting the Idli Batter from scratch. This Instant Idli Recipe always comes handy to me as well. I make idli anytime and at the drop of the kids’ demand. Fabulous, isn’t it?
Instant Pot has made this Instant Idli recipe more efficient and doable.
My Top Reasons to try Instant Idli Instant Pot Recipe at your home
Since I have started making Instant Idli in my favorite gadget INSTANT POT, it has become all the more efficient.
- It is an EASY 3 step Recipe – MIX, POUR, & STEAM.
- No prep is required. You do not have to plan it ahead of time. Convenient, right?
- This recipe is perfect for your breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner or snack.
- Pack it for your Lunch and you are sorted.
- Steaming in Instant Pot is so easy and without any noise of your original pressure cooker or Idli steamer. That is my biggest win-win to use IP to steam idli. The sound that other gadgets make to steam the idli is jarring and annoying.
- This is a complete meal recipe with the goodness of Semolina & Yogurt.
- If you are using your Mini/Button Idli Mould, then you can steam them in your 3 quarts Instant Pot.
- The regular size Idli mould will be used in a 6 or 8 quarts Instant Pot.
I made my Instant Idli Instant Pot Recipe in 3 quarts Instant Pot.
Save 60.0% on select products from ENIDMIL with promo code 60FVKIKF, through 12/17 while supplies last.
Instant Pot Instant Idli Ingredients
Roasted Sooji/Roasted Semolina
What to do if I can not find Roasted Sooji?
Roasted Sooji or Roasted Semolina is easily available in your Local Indian Grocery Store. If you do not find the roasted one, then you can easily do it at home.
- Buy the regular Sooji/Semolina. Bring it home.
- Dry roast in a heavy bottom pan on low heat till it turns slightly pink.
- Stir continuously to avoid burning.
- Make sure not to purchase Fine Semolina.
What is Eno Fruit Salt?
Eno fruit salt is a combination of 60% Baking Soda and 30% Citric Acid.
Can I use Baking Soda in place of Eno Fruit Salt?
Yes, you can use baking soda in place of Eno Fruit Salt.
Substitute 1 tsp Eno fruit salt with 3/4 tsp Baking Soda + a 1/4 tsp of souring agent like lemon juice or citric acid.
Kitchen Tools Used in making Instant Idli in Instant Pot
Mini/Button Idli Mould Stand
I used 3 tier. You may use 4 or 6 tier stand. If you are using 4 or 6 tier stand, then use 6 quart or 8 quart instant pot for steaming.
Regular Idli Mould
I always use 4 tier regular Idli stand for my idli. You may use 3 or 5 or 6 tier as you have or buy from amazon.
Save 61.0% on select products from EFOSHM with promo code 61BXV344, through 12/17 while supplies last.
Indian Vegetarian Instant Pot Recipes from Simplyvegetarian777
Chana Masala, Saag Aloo, Pav Bhaji, Rajma Masala, Madras Lentils, Aloo Baingan and more.
Instant Pot Eggless Cakes from Simplyvegetarian777
Red Velvet Cake, Chocolate Cake, and Banana Bread.
Some more Idli Recipes from Simplyvegetarian777
Idli Manchurian, Idli Fry, Leftover Rice Idli, MTR Oats Idli, Urad Chhilka Idli.
How to make Instant Idli in Instant Pot Video
For Instant Idli in Pressure Cooker, CLICK HERE.
Easy Recipe for Instant Idli in Instant Pot
Instant Idli Instant Pot Recipe
- 1 cup Roasted Sooji/Semolina I used Laxmi Brand
- 1 cup Thick Yogurt not too cold and not sour
- 1/4 cup water room temperature
- 1&1/4 tsp Eno Fruit Salt original, not flavored
Preparing Idli Moulds
- Spray or Grease the Idli Moulds lightly. Keep aside. I used my Mini Idli Moulds or Button Idli Moulds.
- Place the Inner Pot inside the Instant Pot. Plug it in. Pour 2 cups water inside the inner pot. Press SAUTE MODE. Let the water heat up in the inner pot. As it comes to the rolling boil. Switch it off. In between, start working on your Idli Batter.
Preparing the Instant Idli Batter - Watch the Video above the recipe
- Take a large bowl. Add Roasted Sooji to the bowl. Add 1 cup of thick yogurt. Mix it well. Add 1 tbsp water at a time, till Idli batter is very slightly loose. It might take 1 to 2 tbsp water to reach the right consistency.
- IMPORTANT - We do not want runny idli batter. We want thick dropping consistency batter like original idli batter. It should be thick but not tight.
- Now add ENO FRUIT SALT. Give it a good whisk. It will start bubbling slightly. (watch the video). And will fluff a bit. The batter is ready.
PLACING BATTER INTO IDLI MOULDS
- If you are using Mini/Button Idli Moulds - Place 1 tsp of batter in each mould. It should yield about 75 button idlis.
- If you are using Regular Idli Moulds - Place 2 to 3 tbsp Idli Batter in each mould. It should make 12-16 idlis.
STEAMING THE IDLI
- If you are making Mini/Button Idli - Place the idli stand inside the inner pot of your Instant Pot. Place the lid. Put the floating valve to VENTING. Press the STEAM button. Set the time for 5 minutes on High. As soon as the time gets over. Remove the lid. Take out the mould carefully. Remove the mould plates. Let idli sit in the mould for about 2 minutes. Then unmould these carefully.
- If you are making Regular Size Idli - Place the idli stand inside the inner pot of your Instant Pot. Place the lid. Put the floating valve to VENTING. Press the STEAM button. Set the time for 12 minutes on High. As soon as the time gets over. Remove the lid. Take out the mould carefully. Remove the mould plates. Let idli sit in the mould for about 2 minutes. Then unmould these carefully.
- Steaming Hot Idli are ready.
- These are best served warm with hot Sambhar and Coconut Chutney. I served these with Udupi style Sambhar.
I am sure you are going to try this recipe soon. If you do, please leave your feedback under the comments.
Can’t make it today? Pin Instant Mini Idli in Instant Pot for Later.
In my Kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY.
This is one of my favourite recipes. Very easy to make as well.
Thank you Nisha
Hi Sonam I love your recipes ! Our family fave is Tahiri ! I just got an 6 qt instant pot and my regular Indian idli stand is too big ! Can you please share the link of your idli stand ! Or the diameter for 6 qt so I can get it from India ! Would appreciate your answer on this
Thank you so much. I have included the link to the mini Idli stand in my post. Please check carefully. You can purchase it from amazon via the link provided. It’s under $15. Tax and shipping may apply. If you are amazon prime member then shipping might be free.