Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe is a life saver recipe. It is cooked in 15 minutes and is on the table in less than 1/2 hr. This is an authentic recipe, done fast with no mess. It is best served with hot steaming rice.
Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe
Okay people, before somebody starts accusing me with “how can this be authentic Punjabi kadhi, when there is no pakoda(fritter) in it? Let me make my case by saying that I was too lazy to deep fry the pakoda and too excited to get this recipe right in my Insta-Pot, that I “make-do” with deep fried Boondi (deep fried gram flour pearls). The base of this Punjabi Kadhi is authentic, how my mum or mum-in-law would make at home in Northern States of India.
CHECK OUT HERE⇐ for STOVE TOP PUNJABI KADHI RECIPE.
Here are few things to know, before we move on to the recipe.
- Do not be intimidated by Instant-Pot. Accept it and Embrace it. Instant-Pot is very promising. It takes few initial hit and runs, and after that, you operate it smoothly. I promise.
- Read the manual carefully for functions. Join some Instant-Pot groups on Facebook to get started since that will be of great help.
- There is no BABYSITTING on this machine. Cooking is MESS-FREE and MULTI-PURPOSE.
- Some common words that you will hear are cooking on MANUAL which is actually PRESSURE COOK. SAUTE is another favorite function. Some commonly used functions that I use are- Manual/ Pressure, Saute Mode, Bean Mode, Soup & Stew Mode. CHECK OUT HERE⇐ for detailed INSTANT POT Parts and Operations.
- It is your BEST FRIEND if you are a busy person. It is very convenient to use on busy days, when you are sick, or when you want to take it easy.
This is how you make Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe, without a mess and in less time.
Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe
Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe is a life saver. It is cooked in 15 minutes and is on the table in less than 1/2 hr. This is an authentic recipe, done fast with no mess. It is best served with hot steaming rice.
Punjabi Kadhi Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Besan / Chickpea Flour sieved
- 2 cups Yogurt sour
- 1 tbsp Ginger finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies slit into 4s
- 6 cups Water
Oil & Spices
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 pinch Hing / Asafetida
- 1 tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Methi dana / Fenugreek seeds
- 2 Lal Mirch Sabut / Red Chillies Whole & Dry
- 1/2 tbsp Haldi / Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Lal Mirch powder / Red chili powder
- To taste Salt
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1-2 Green Chillies slit into 4s
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 small pinch Hing/Asafetida
- 1 tsp Degi Mirch or Kashmiri Lal Mirch
Preparing for Punjabi Kadhi
Take a large mixing bowl and sieve the besan/gram flour in it. Whisk the yogurt and add it slowly to the flour. Keep stirring vigorously with the whisk, to avoid any lump formation. Add 2 cups of water. Mix with Besan and yogurt. Set aside.
Making Punjabi Kadhi in Instant Pot
Use 6 quart Instant Pot or larger. Do not use the MINI INSTANT POT for making Punjabi Kadhi.
Place the Instant Pot on an open counter space. Make sure that it is away from the wall and away from any cupboard above it. Place the Inner Stainless Steel Pot inside the Instant Pot Base. Make sure that the lid has its sealing ring placed properly.
Plug in the Instant Pot. Press SAUTE MODE and set it on NORMAL by pressing the saute mode. Now wait till the screen displays HOT.
Add Ghee or cooking oil to the Inner pot and wait for few seconds till ghee heats up. Now add Hing (asafetida), methi dana (fenugreek seeds), cumin seeds and whole dry red chilies to hot ghee. Saute for few seconds till cumin seeds turn slightly golden. Add Ginger and green chili. Give it a good stir.
Now slowly pour the besan mix into the inner pot. Give it a good stir. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt to taste. Give another good stir. Add the remaining 3 cups of water and adjust salt. Stir again. Save 1 cup of water for later.
Now place the lid of the pot and rotate it clock-wise to lock it in place. Press CANCEL to cancel the SAUTE MODE setting.
Set the FLOAT VALVE to VENTING. This will not build the pressure inside the pot and will keep releasing the pressure side by side.
Press SOUP/BROTH Mode and set it on LESS. Make sure that the PRESSURE is also set to LESS. Set the timer for 15 minutes.
Please take the extra time into account that Instant-pot takes to become hot and kick in actual cooking. It is about 7-8 minutes pre-cooking. You should not use the hot water in this recipe or else besan in the recipe can thicken and become lumpy.
After you hear the beep from the Instant-Pot, wait for few minutes. Now open the lid carefully.
The kadhi might seem saturated or concentrated. Take a stirring spoon or ladle and give it a good stir. Kadhi is ready. If it is too thick for you, add 1 cup of hot water, as desired and adjust the salt.
If it is too thick for you, add 1-2 cups of hot water, as desired and adjust the salt. Put the instant pot on MORE SOUP MODE and bring it to a boil.
Making Tadka for Kadhi
Heat Ghee in a small pan. Lower the heat to lower medium and add hing+cumin seeds to the pan. Once the cumin seeds start crackling, lower the heat and add degi mirch or kashmiri mirch. Immediately switch off the heat. Add this tadka to Punjabi Kadhi.
Isn’t that wonderful that you can cook such authentic recipe like PUNJABI KADHI in just 15 minutes? I have started making it more often now, since I do not have to babysit Kadhi anymore and to top that there is no more spilling or mess.
Some ingredients that you can order Online to get started with this recipe are
Can’t make it now? PIN Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Recipe for Later!
In my kitchen, you will always EAT HAPPY & STAY HAPPY!