Irish Apple Cake is a type of Apple Bread from Ireland, with Crusty Top and Moist inside. This cake tastes amazing with Custard Sauce or Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice-Cream. It is a perfect way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, a celebration from Ireland.
UPDATED 12/12/2021 – for more content.
Irish Apple Cake
Recently, I had the fortune to try this delicious Apple Cake at the Cafe in FallingWater Falls, Pennsylvania. We had taken the kids to see this architectural marvel and it was a small hike on a cold day. After we finished the hike, I was craving for a hot cup of Coffee.
As I entered their cafe near the souvenir shop, there was this big cake sitting in the glass case. It looked beautiful with slight gold and crusty top and read Irish Apple Cake. I ordered a slice with coffee for 2 and hot chocolate for the girls. The cake was served with Custard Sauce on the top.
Apple Cake tasted delicious. It was not like a cake per say but more Bread-ish with very less sugar and crusted top. Every bite tasted delicious. The custard sauce with crusty sugar top made it up for low sweet bread. I knew I had to bake it at home. While searching on the net, I came across The Kitchen Mccabe and found an amazing recipe for the cake. For original recipe, Click here.
Since then it has become a family favorite cake also. Apparently, it is breaking the internet. And I am so happy about it. 😀
What is Irish Apple Cake?
As the name suggests, this Apple Cake hails from IRELAND. It is a popular cake made in the homes of Ireland and is a perfect way to finish a meal. This Apple Cake is actually an Apple Bread with Crusty Top and Moist inside. Since Nutmeg and Cloves are added for flavors, the best part is that it is not overly sweet like other cakes.
It tastes amazing when served warm with some Custard Sauce or even Vanilla Ice-Cream.
What is St. Patrick’s Day?
Did you know that Saint Patrick’s Day is also known as Feast of Saint Patrick. Because it is a cultural and religious celebration held on March 17th, observing the death of Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland.
Celebrations normally involves public parades and people wearing green attires or shamrocks. To learn more about Saint Patrick day, click here. (source – wikipedia)
Therefore, I think baking an Irish Apple Cake is the perfect way to celebrate the Irish culture on Saint Patrick’s day.
Although the original recipe is baked with the use of Eggs, I have adapted the recipe to bake this cake without the eggs. Now you can follow the original recipe, as the link shared above, to bake with eggs. Or use my recipe to bake an Egg-Free or Egg-Less IRISH CAKE.
Some other Popular Egg-Free Bakes from my blog are –
Marble Cake Eggless and much more.
CHECK OUT OUR DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN AIR FRYER RECIPES HERE THAT CAN BE BAKED IN OVEN TOO.
Check my latest Air fryer SPINACH & ARTICHOKE DIP. That would go so well with these chips.
Another of my favorite Air fryer Party Recipe is these AIR FRYER BISCUIT CHEESE BOMBS filled with ooey-guey melting cheese in the middle.
Air fryer Roasted Cashews, Air fryer Halloween Mummy Pizza, AIR FRYER RECIPES like AF Buffalo Cauliflower Wings and AF Asian Cauliflower Wings, Air fryer zucchini parmesan chips, Air fryer stuffed mushrooms, Air fryer Frittata, Air Fryer FALAFEL, Air fryer Banana Bread, Air fryer Baby Potatoes, Air fryer Fajitas, Air-fryer Tofu in Asian Sauce, Sweet Potatoes, Apple Strudel, Sweet Potato Fries, Hand Pies, Bread Rolls, Salted Nuts, Peanuts, Air fryer Green Peas,Air Fryer Green Beans, Air Fryer Banana Chips, Peas Puff Pastry Air Fryer Stuffed Poblano Peppers, Air Fryer Apple Crisp Recipe, Air Fryer Calzone Recipe , Air Fryer Croissant Rolls with spinach & ricotta, Shishito peppers and more.
What are the ingredients of Easy Apple Cake?
Ingredients for the cake
All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Salt,Cloves Powder, Nutmeg Powder, Butter, Sugar, Milk, Yogurt, Apples
Ingredients for the Custard Sauce
Milk, Corn flour/corn starch, Sugar, Vanilla Extract
Kitchen Gadgets for the Recipe
How to make Irish Apple Bread/ Irish Apple Cake?
Irish Apple Cake Instructions
Once baked, take it out and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve it warm with either custard sauce or whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
I am sure you will be baking this wonderful and delicate cake/bread soon. It sure has become a hit with my family and I plan to bake it more often. If you try it, then do send me your feedback.
SIMPLYVEGETARIAN777 VEGAN INSTANT POT CURRY RECIPES
SIMPLYVEGETARIAN777 INSTANT POT VEGAN ASIAN RECIPES
SIMPLYVEGETARIAN777 INSTANT POT DESSERTS
SIMPLYVEGETARIAN777 INSTANT POT VEGETARIAN SOUPS
EASY IRISH APPLE CAKE RECIPE
Irish Apple Cake
Irish Apple Cake Ingredients
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tea-spoon Baking powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/2 tea-spoon Cloves powder
- 1/2 tea-spoon Nutmeg powder
- 3/4 cup Butter, cold cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Yogurt, thick
- 4 Large Apples I used 3 Gala and 1 Granny smith
- 2 table-spoon Sugar to sprinkle on top
Custard Sauce Ingredients
- 2 cups Milk
- 1&1/2 table-spoon Corn flour/starch
- 3 table-spoon Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
Irish Apple Cake Instructions
- First preheat the oven at 375*F. Now place the baking rack in the middle of the oven. Further spread little butter in a 8-9 inches Baking Pan (square or circular) and line with a parchment paper. Set aside.
- Now take a large mixing bowl and add flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg powder and cloves powder to it. Mix well.
- Further add butter pieces to the flour mix. Now use a pastry cutter or your fingers and mix butter with flour till it resembles bread crumb.
- Further add 3/4 cup sugar to the flour mix and mix it well.
- Now peel the apples. Cut them into uniform pieces. Cut them slightly bigger for that chunky look or apples will get mushed when baked. So keep the slightly big in pieces.
- Now add these apple pieces to the flour mix and toss well. Make sure that every apple piece is well coated with the flour mix.
- Further take another bowl and mix milk and yogurt in it. Mix it well.
- Now add this liquid to the flour mix bowl. start mixing with a spatula. Mix well till liquid is well incorporated into flour mix, making it dough like. IMPORTANT - this cake has almost dough like thick batter. Do not expect cake like runny batter. It has to be thick like dough.
- Spread this dough like batter in the baking pan. Pat it down with the back of spatula for even surface. Spread 2 table-spoon of sugar on top of the cake.
- Bake it at 375*F for about 45-50 minutes. The top of the cake will turn beautifully golden. Do the Wooden pick test in the center of the cake to make sure it is fully baked. The baking time might vary in different ovens. Stat checking at 35 minutes.
- Once baked, take it out and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve it warm with either custard sauce or whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Dissolve corn flour/starch in 3 tbsp milk and set aside. Take a heavy bottom pan and bring milk to a boil with sugar in it. Lower the heat. Add dissolved corn starch mix to it and whisk it fast with a wire whisk till it dissolves. Cook the mix for 7-8 minutes on medium heat till it thickens slightly. Switch off the heat. Add vanilla essence and mix. Pour over the slice of irish apple cake and enjoy it.
- NOTE - you may use custard powder to make custard sauce too.
Some other Popular Egg-Free Bakes from my blog are -Super Moist Eggless Chocolate Cake Blender Chocolate Eggless Cake Eggless Vanilla Cake Marble Cake Eggless and much more.
Kitchen Gadgets for the RecipeBaking Pans Measuring Cups All purpose flour Sugar Mixing Bowls Pastry Cutter
I am sure you are going to make this recipe soon. Please leave your feedback in the comments section.